PDA

View Full Version : opinions and advice on 4.0 swap

Boone.Msi
06-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Theres a guy selling his 4.0 alusil with 35k miles (no accessories or intake manifold) for $600obo, i first asked for a price with the DME & MAF, he replied with $750, now this would be an excellent deal if there were no catches, but there is...

Before he pulled his engine he was having a miss/rough idle, no big deal, could be several small reasons(just like mine) but, what worries me is that when giving it gas he loses power. He changed alot of maintenance parts(gaskets, sensors, plugs, etc.) and his mechanic said the engine is in good shape, and that it is his transmission that is causing the loss in power.

What throws the BS flag in my head, is that he never had a compression test done, said he didn't have enough money for a test like that... Utter ******** is what im thinking, if you can pay for a parts car and swap out another 4.0 you have money to do a 1 hour compression test.

So i have replied back, offering $400 for the block and heads, no valve covers, flywheels, accessories, etc. Do you think im risking it with a bad engine, or should i go for it. I would be picking it up, since its roughly a 4 hour drive, but theres not really any way to look at an engine with heads and tell if the cylinders, sleeves, pistons are shot. Is $400 reasonable, or should I just wait for a good condition engine for a grand.

Keep in mind, the owner is a complete stranger to bimmerforums.com (place of contact) his only post are of him selling parts off the parts car he bought.

*Cliffnotes, is $400 for the block/heads of a 35k mile alusil 4.0 a good deal, or is it too risky since the engine could be blown? Seller is a complete stranger.

Tiger
06-08-2007, 02:21 PM
$400 is cheap... not much of risk except losing $400.

Sidney Rough-Diamond
06-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Can't really help on values on your side of the pond, but I can offer some cam covers and a starter motor, all with mucho cheap shipping, if you need. :)

Evan
06-08-2007, 02:54 PM
It's a gamble... probably not a good start to your swap project.

Can you drive out there and verify that the numbers match and do a CarFax at his place or a nearby Kinko's?

Is the motor still in.. you can visually inspect the plugs

Offer him $250 for "trash removal"?

ThoreauHD
06-09-2007, 12:45 AM
Sounds like a broke alusil to me. I'd waste my time elsewhere.

Boone.Msi
06-10-2007, 01:29 PM
alright he countered with $600 for the block, heads, valve covers and ECU + MAF from another 540, seems like a pretty good deal, if i knew for sure it was healthy.

Oh yea, its in Nashville, Tennessee if anyone's local.

Boone.Msi
06-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Well guess what... He just finished swapping in the 4.0 from the parts car and apparently he has the same problem bogging down with the new engine. Looks like i may have scored a perfect 32k mile alusil for $600 if i had just jumped on it.

Oh well, hes telling me he can't sell the engine for $600 now, since the loss of power is not an engine problem. I could really care less, im more interested in a 6 speed right now than an engine, since i have to get a manual to do this swap anyways.

Evan
06-10-2007, 03:51 PM
there are plenty of motors and transmissioins around... be patient and you'll find the right one at the right price

there are a couple guys on this board who sell used parts -- you're MUCH better off buying from them than from someone whose price changes every day.

kalevera in ohio is the first who comes to mind.. then there's a guy in NC (I think)

632 Regal
06-10-2007, 06:45 PM
I have an 535 for parts too.
there are plenty of motors and transmissioins around... be patient and you'll find the right one at the right price

there are a couple guys on this board who sell used parts -- you're MUCH better off buying from them than from someone whose price changes every day.

kalevera in ohio is the first who comes to mind.. then there's a guy in NC (I think)