PDA

View Full Version : Much respect for you guys that are mechanics for a living

scott540
05-08-2004, 02:06 PM
after trying for an hour getting rusted hose clamps off and then taking a gasoline shower while changing the fuel filters, I don't know how you guys do it everyday.

dave b
05-08-2004, 03:21 PM
I enjoy working on my car more than I enjoy working at my job...

Bill R.
05-08-2004, 03:58 PM
after trying for an hour getting rusted hose clamps off and then taking a gasoline shower while changing the fuel filters, I don't know how you guys do it everyday.

winfred
05-08-2004, 09:20 PM
i think it's some kinda mental problem, that and a built in excuse to have a 5 figure tool set
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/toolbox1

andyman32
05-08-2004, 09:31 PM
I'm with Scott... kudos... thanks for all the great advice. It seems like a cool job, I'm half tempted to try and get into it myself. Wake Tech has a 1.5-year degree ;)

Ken from Guam
05-09-2004, 09:27 AM
I'm with Scott... kudos... thanks for all the great advice. It seems like a cool job, I'm half tempted to try and get into it myself. Wake Tech has a 1.5-year degree ;)

i wanna take a course on ? wait what course do i take mechanical engineering? is there a crash course that i can take for Bimmers only? :( man i really wanna learn to be a mechanic. seriously Winfred/ Bill R. what course do i take to be atleast a decent DIY guy?

winfred
05-09-2004, 10:09 AM
not sure what to suggest, i took auto mechanics in high school and that was a waste of time, we spent three months learning about tires, the guy was burned out and didn't give a **** and didn't teach me anything i didn't know (except for the tires). now the next year i took welding and that was very useful. i pretty much learned on my own, working at a salvage yard helped a lot tearing stuff apart. if you are able, i've herd the bmw step program is ok, if you grad in the top x% from a certain tech school bmw will pick up the tab on your factory training if you sign a 2 year contract to wrench at a dealer of their choice (at least that's what it was about a year ago when i looked)

632 Regal
05-09-2004, 10:34 AM
It's usually a hands on learning curve for most mechanics. If you have good mechanical aptitude dig right in, I have met some people that have schooled for years and years and know everything about everything but couldnt change a fuel filter if their life depended on it. The more you wrench the more experience you will get, that along with aptitude is all you need. If you want to work at this for a living you will have to take some courses and pass tests...thats about it. Sounds like you might need to practice on them hose clamps, as for fuel baths I think thats just par for the course. :)

Warren N.CA
05-09-2004, 03:11 PM
my cars, although I often find it very difficult (especially busting loose frozen bolts without proper lift, tools or knowhow). But YOU COULD NOT PAY ME ENOUGH to work on cars all day long!

Funny, I usually have a hard time dragging my ass down to the garage, to get started. But once I'm into it, I really do have a good time. Go figure.

Ken from Guam
05-09-2004, 07:08 PM
not sure what to suggest, i took auto mechanics in high school and that was a waste of time, we spent three months learning about tires, the guy was burned out and didn't give a **** and didn't teach me anything i didn't know (except for the tires). now the next year i took welding and that was very useful. i pretty much learned on my own, working at a salvage yard helped a lot tearing stuff apart. if you are able, i've herd the bmw step program is ok, if you grad in the top x% from a certain tech school bmw will pick up the tab on your factory training if you sign a 2 year contract to wrench at a dealer of their choice (at least that's what it was about a year ago when i looked)

Winfred,where can i get more details about that BMW step program? thanks man

winfred
05-09-2004, 09:59 PM
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=fp-pull-web-t&p=bmw+step+program

Winfred,where can i get more details about that BMW step program? thanks man