PDA

View Full Version : Winfred - SI board in E30 - familiar?

Jon K
06-07-2007, 09:49 PM
The E30 my mom got needs this replaced I think. I am going to just buy a new one from Autohaus. The Coolant Temp gauge, service indicator, and tach do not function. Should a new SI board fix this? The SI lights stay on even with the key out.

shogun
06-08-2007, 01:37 AM
change the batteries
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/228704/
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/203331/

Jr ///M5
06-08-2007, 07:47 AM
It's the batteries. One solution is to relocate them for easier access next time.

winfred
06-08-2007, 08:00 AM
if it's got the little short white 3v batterys then the board may of survived their death, if it's got the aa sized red nicads it was most likely destroyed by the acid because they just about blow up, it all depends on what board it has, i've changed the batterys before but it's a little bit of a pain in the ass and sometimes the board is trash, i wouldn't even bother if it has the red nicads and the last time i priced the 3v li batterys they were expensive, and if the board got zapped you are stuck with them

Turbo Ready
06-08-2007, 08:17 AM
You should pull the cluster apart to determine which batteries the SI board uses and the state of the board.
There are two battery types used on the SI boards, one with the AA and the other with the 2/3 AA

I have changed both the AA and the 2/3 AA (3V Lithium) batteries and the SI boards worked well after. They boards were saved, thankfully the batteries had not leaked.

I found the supplier for the exact replacement for the 2/3 AA batteries in the US, I think they were US $ 8.00 each. You will want the COMP7-3 seen here

https://www.tselectronic.com/dantona/comp7.html?tse_Session=07a8434320fdaa6d713e4438f6e cc5c6

Here is the SI board with the batteries.

Turbo Ready
06-08-2007, 08:21 AM
2/3 AA Lithium batteries shown.

Bill R.
06-08-2007, 09:10 AM
back, the batteries were readily available from battery's plus
(http://www.lehrmangroup.com/rickard/318SIbattery.html)

The E30 my mom got needs this replaced I think. I am going to just buy a new one from Autohaus. The Coolant Temp gauge, service indicator, and tach do not function. Should a new SI board fix this? The SI lights stay on even with the key out.

rreimund
06-08-2007, 09:19 AM

The most recent issue of Roundel (bmwcca magazine) has an article on replacing /relocating the batteries for the SI indicator in the e30. If you're not a member, find someone who is and borrow their Roundel - it's the one with the silver M3 on the cover (a close up of the front fender anyway).. I think the headlight on the cover is "GR8 V8 in Geneva" or something like that.

Jon K
06-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks a bunch guys

So does anyone know what the SI board controls?

My moms E30 passed emissions and inspection - amazing for $1700!

However the shop (a friend of family) said they hooked the car up to a machine and got coolant sensor faults, TPS fault, etc.

I think he's pulling one with me - if the car passed emissions and drives great, no CEL's, I can't imagine how coolant sensors are bad.

BUT - the coolant gauge does not work nor does the tach and what I need to know is if I do this battery stuff, or replace the SI board, should that fix the coolant temp gauge and tach?

BTW awesome walk thru bill saves me the time of figurin' it out! Thanks!

winfred
06-08-2007, 12:05 PM
it's a E isn't it? if so theres no machine really anymore that will plug into it, and no check engine light at all, the 87 I with the big round diagnostic plug had the first cel but it only had 4 codes, 88 was really the start of the useful cel were it had many different codes

Jon K
06-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Exactly - its an 87 "325" which is the E. I told my mom "hey mom.. uhh... dont think they can hook up to it." And theyre a friend of hers she does work for them on their website, but yeah i dunno wtf they're trying to do. They said it needs cooalnt sensors (all) TPS and O2.

YET! It passed emissions with flying colors. He also said there is 4 CLT sensors but I distinctly remember 3.

winfred
06-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Es can have 3 or 4 sensors depending on model, the tps is testable with a multimeter, the center pin is common and the outer two are wot on one side and closed on the other, the huge temp sensor is the thermotime switch for the cold start injector...ill get back later lunch is here :P

Turbo Ready
06-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Well so far we know it controls the temp gauge and the tach and for sure the service indicator for service interval notifications, never explored any other control functions.

If the TPS, o2 or temp sensor is bad they car will have idling and drive ability issues and will not pass an etest.

BTW, the 87is like mine manufactured in April, had the complete diagnostic capability with the later CEL features.

Had to edit my post, thought it was an "i" What are they reading??????

I hate to say stuff about people, but I think these guys are telling allot of birdie stories to your Mom, hope they are not trying to get some free web service hours