PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? Fuel filter Q...

e34.535i.sport
06-07-2007, 05:30 PM
I found myself in a sticky situation for the second time when attempting to begin the fuel filter change on saturday (first time i found a leak in a fuel pipe elsewhere and had to sort that). Anyway I get the wheel off etc and loosen the big nut holding on the fuel filter itself - then go to undo the two hoseclamps on the hoses leading in and out of the filter. One is so rusty the head crumbled and the other has a dodgy head which aint gonna turn either.

Options...
1. Cut the hoses just before the clips (1/2") as there is some slack anyway.
2. Saw through the hoseclamps with a little hacksaw (Cause a spark? - BOOM!)
3. Try and pull the hoses off the filter with brute force (normally option 1).
4. [empty space - open to ideas]

I dont think Wd40 is gonna do it even though it does have seemingly magical powers.

I have searched the archives prior to this thread - still need advice as i hate working on anything fuel related, i can set things ablaze by just looking at them.

632 Regal
06-07-2007, 05:36 PM
cut the rubber hoses and replace them and all 4 clamps at the same time?

gmannino
06-07-2007, 06:51 PM
I agree with the above post. Use a large snip or wire cutter to remove the hose. A new sharp razor knife will work also. Make sure to cut it evenly.

e34.535i.sport
06-08-2007, 10:50 AM
cut the rubber hoses and replace them and all 4 clamps at the same time?

I didn't even think of that cheers Jeff - i'll get under tomorrow and see how bad the clips are at the other ends!

If they wont come off i'll have to chop the pipe and just have it with a little less slack on each pipe and replace the hoseclamp things.

Just out of interest how much fuel will come out of the filter and pipes if i dont de-pressurise the system (pull out the fuse and start it)? I have read threads that advise not doing the fuse pulling thing as its bad for the car?

Thanks!!!