PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Lenses on Highbeam and Foglights

brendanm
06-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Hi all

I've raised this subject before, but I just received my replacement lenses from bmwlight.com, they aren't exact replicas of the existing lenses, are there any tricks to installing them.

I've peeled off the rubber gasket on the outside of the foglight, and I will begin chipping out the broken lens. After that I guess I simply clean it up and glue the new one in place. Any recommendations on products for gluing and sealing it in place. Also, what should I use to reattach the rubber gasket?

As for the highbeam lens, what's the process for replacing it? It seems to have a chrome ring that covers the lens, how do I remove it? Do I have to pull the whole highbeam light and installation out of the grill to replace the lens, or can it be done in place? And if it has to come out, what's the process for getting the light out of the grill?

Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

CharlesAFerg
06-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Don't know about the high beams, but go to your ocal hardware store and pick up some clear silicone adhesive - should be in the plumbing section.

Fogs are easy - while you're at it, clean your reflector lenses inside the light as well.

Also, you should put some lamin-x over it, especially if they're acryllic lenses - to keep them from fogging - the plastic fogs really fast otherwise.

mikell
06-07-2007, 04:53 PM
The chrome ring around the high beam should slip right off. Best to remove the bucket from the car - easier to clamp or tape the new lens in place while the adhesive sets.
Ditto on th Lamin-x; see lamin-x.com.

brendanm
06-08-2007, 12:56 AM
Hey the lamin-x sounds like a good idea, but what do you guys mean when you say the new lenses fog over? From damage or wear, or are you talking about some sort of condensation?

With the Lamin-x, do you have any opinion with regards to a tint in the foglight lamin-x? Is there a particular color that goes best for foglights, or is clear the best?

John in CT
06-08-2007, 01:41 PM
I just did my low beam, first find discussion on Bruno's E34 page, then you need a 8 or 9 inch long thin screwdriver, you put it vertically thru the little hole behind turn signal lens under hood, release clip, then release 4 other clips above radiator and behind grill, now entire grill piece and "wings" which go all the way to side of car pops out, I used small wooden wedges to avois scratching paint. Put grill aside and look for the five bolts which allow you to remove headlight assembly complete. One is tricky, behind turnsignal bulb holder. Other four are obvious from the front. Then go to dealer and get three new plastic headlight retaining posts, you will probably break the old ones during removal process. 5 bucks at my dealer in CT for three. Remove old posts, I just crushed them knowing I had replacements on hand, releasing headlamp assembly from holder assembly. I changed entire headlamp so I don't know the drill for lens only, but it was a PITA job the first time, I bet I could do it in 1/2 hour now. Bentley has some info too,

Good luck,

John
1995 525i 5 speed