PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Adjusters

540 touring
06-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Hello All

Is it an easy job to replace the headlight adjusters ? I have a 1994 540i touring and was told that faulty headlight adjusters were causing my dash to display brakelight, licence plate light and headlamp faults, when they are in fact all working fine.

thanks very much

steve0suprem0
06-07-2007, 04:08 PM
adjusters? unless you've got the motorized ones, that doesn't make any sense. check the wiring harness attached to the left arm of.. wait, you're in a touring. nevermind.

but that doesn't make much sense at all to me.

540 touring
06-07-2007, 05:22 PM
adjusters? unless you've got the motorized ones, that doesn't make any sense. check the wiring harness attached to the left arm of.. wait, you're in a touring. nevermind.

but that doesn't make much sense at all to me.

Thanks. If it's not likely to be the headlamp adjusters, any ideas what would cause the faults to be displayed. The faults are only shown when the lights are one.

cheers

pheno
06-08-2007, 12:24 AM
try to remove the plug for headlight vertical aim control and see what happens. Maybe it helps

shogun
06-08-2007, 01:34 AM
The question is: do you have electric headlight adjusters or not?

You only get the warning, because you have an LKM (Licht Kontroll Modul = light control module) in version B = basic.
Only the LKM-L luxury can check also the bulbs where they are not on.

If you have electric motors for headlight adjustment, just pull the plug and see what happens.
You can also install resistors to overcome this problem.

I hope you understand a bit the German language, otherwise just see the pics and drawings
http://www.7-forum.com/forum/showthread.html?t=11445

shogun
06-08-2007, 02:15 AM
here you can see the motor
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n45882914

compmore
06-08-2007, 09:58 PM
just unplug them and see. was getting exactly the same messages with lights on and they stopped once i disconected them

geoff

attack eagle
06-09-2007, 01:18 AM
Hello All

Is it an easy job to replace the headlight adjusters ? I have a 1994 540i touring and was told that faulty headlight adjusters were causing my dash to display brakelight, licence plate light and headlamp faults, when they are in fact all working fine.

thanks very much

you best check BOTH your license lights and the 3rd brakelight again as well. Both of those issues were caused by broken hatch harnesses on mine, and it is a very common and inevitable fault on tourings. unless you refuse to use the hatch at all :D
I guess I'm glad I had to run my own wiring to add the headlight adjusters. No faults at all since they don't go thru the LKM.

bmwrp8
06-09-2007, 06:49 AM
The question is: do you have electric headlight adjusters or not?

You only get the warning, because you have an LKM (Licht Kontroll Modul = light control module) in version B = basic.
Only the LKM-L luxury can check also the bulbs where they are not on.

If you have electric motors for headlight adjustment, just pull the plug and see what happens.
You can also install resistors to overcome this problem.

I hope you understand a bit the German language, otherwise just see the pics and drawings
http://www.7-forum.com/forum/showthread.html?t=11445

shogun I have the lkm B=basic if I was to put lkm-L luxury would it work?and all its added features not included in the basic?or it'll just work like the basic?

Sidney Rough-Diamond
06-09-2007, 09:13 AM
My car gave various warnings when the lights were on,even though they were all fine.Just unpluged the wiring to the adjusters and now no more warnings. Nice.

attack eagle
06-10-2007, 12:31 AM
on replacing the motors... super easy, they just twist off the stand... well except for trying to get the adjuster rod out of the ball cup, since new ones should have new adjuster rods.