PDA

View Full Version : Should 540 have any engine shake at idle ?

pheno
06-07-2007, 06:09 AM
I'd like to hear if your engine shakes at idle when engine is warm? Should there be any shake at all ? I'm having small shake every 2-3 seconds and you can feel it into cabin. Is this normal ? It idles around 600rpm with lights on, lights off drops to ~500rpm. Thanks.

winfred
06-07-2007, 08:18 AM
probably has a vacuum leak or two fairly common on v8s, the intake manifold gaskets start to go and or the pcv plate on the back of the intake ruptures, you can spray around the intake with carb cleaner and see if the idle changes, try it running cold and hot, idle changes you found a leak

pheno
06-07-2007, 09:14 AM
probably has a vacuum leak or two fairly common on v8s, the intake manifold gaskets start to go and or the pcv plate on the back of the intake ruptures, you can spray around the intake with carb cleaner and see if the idle changes, try it running cold and hot, idle changes you found a leak

Ok, I thought too that there shouldn't be that much of shake at idle. Anyway when I remove oil cap idle goes significantly worse, so I guess the leak is not that big anyway.

Any other vacuum leak places to look for ? Brake booster ?