PDA

View Full Version : window not working

txp135
06-07-2007, 01:44 AM
I haven't used my passenger side window for a month and now when I press the button I can hear a click but it's not moving. Where to check first?

shogun
06-07-2007, 02:48 AM
Where to check first?

Remove the door panel and have a visual inspection.
If it clicks, you have power. But if the power needed is too much, then the GM will switch off again.

e34.535i.sport
06-07-2007, 03:51 AM
I could hear the motor but wimdow wouldn't move. Turned out to be the regulator.

Ross
06-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Hold the button and give the door panel a good whack. For some reason the motors tend to get stuck. This is all it takes more often then not.

txp135
06-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Hold the button and give the door panel a good whack. For some reason the motors tend to get stuck. This is all it takes more often then not.

Wow, I can't believe a bimmer does this. I pounded the door and it didn't move, turns out I was pressing the button the wrong way. Pressed it the right way and it started to go down like nothing happened to it. Thanks!!!!!!!!! Is there a permanent fix for this? It'd be embarrassing to have someone ride in my car and this happens.

Ross
06-08-2007, 06:48 AM
Embarrassed? You'll be greeted by oohs and aahs as you demonstrate your mechanical prowess.
This usually happens when the windows aren't used. Run it up and down once in a while and you'll be fine.
If it turns out the motor is dying or you have a bad connection you'll find out soon enough.

BigTed00
01-22-2009, 07:35 AM
drivers window on my car dropped 1/4 of an inch then stopped, none of the windows would work. replaced fusible link and regained control of the windows except the drivers door, which is still stuck.

tried this trick but it didnt work

I could hear the motor but wimdow wouldn't move. Turned out to be the regulator.

I'm guessing I need a new regulator, but they are pricey :(

Ross
01-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Nice to see you bothered to search.
The regulator won't prevent the motor from trying to operate. If there is no movement, no click just dead silence look for an electrical fault. Apply power directly to the motor to rule it out or confirm it's demise.
If the motor hasn't gotten "fussy" the switches are the next place to look. They are placed to absorb spills from us messy Americans who insist on eating while driving.
A broken or corroded wire connection in the door harness is another possibility.

Old Man Pete
01-22-2009, 10:48 AM
I have the click no movement problem with my rear left window. Got a regulator and motor off fleabay, just got to get inside that door now!

JD525IA
01-22-2009, 10:59 AM
more specifically, the teeth on the motor. Years ago my drivers side did this and now the passengers is doing it. Ebay has lotsa used ones that should work well. The teeth on the motor get beat up over time and will stick once in a while and then stay stuck.

Good luck with this.

JD

BigTed00
01-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Nice to see you bothered to search.
The regulator won't prevent the motor from trying to operate. If there is no movement, no click just dead silence look for an electrical fault. Apply power directly to the motor to rule it out or confirm it's demise.
If the motor hasn't gotten "fussy" the switches are the next place to look. They are placed to absorb spills from us messy Americans who insist on eating while driving.
A broken or corroded wire connection in the door harness is another possibility.

I have this: the click sound but no movement.

more specifically, the teeth on the motor. Years ago my drivers side did this and now the passengers is doing it. Ebay has lotsa used ones that should work well. The teeth on the motor get beat up over time and will stick once in a while and then stay stuck.

Good luck with this.

JD

Thanks for the info guys, off to ebay for a new motor!