PDA

View Full Version : Any F1 fans here???

Robert K
06-06-2007, 11:13 PM
I've watched Formula One auto racing for at least the last 20 years. Recently, I've wanted to find a book that goes into depth regarding the technology in the cars and engines. I just purchased a book called Formula One Technical Analysis 2005-2006, which by the title, seems to fit the bill for what I'm looking for. However, it had tons of great illustrations, but not really much meat as far as discussing the technical aspects of the cars. So, I was wondering if any other F1 fans here had stumbled upon any books that might provide the type of info I'm looking for.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

pingu
06-07-2007, 04:07 AM
I've read on the 'net that F1 engines use pneumatic valve springs: instead of using coiled metal valve springs, they form a "spring" by further compressing a volume of compressed air that is sealed within a chamber. As the valve is opened, a small piston (maybe a collar?), that is attched to the valve, further compresses the compressed the air in the chamber. The compressed air then expands slighty, to regain it's original compressed-ness, and pushes the valve back up to close the valve.

I guess you might be able to do a "search inside" on Amazon or in the index of the book - if a candidate book doesn't mention pneumatic valves then either wherever I saw this on the 'net is wrong or the book is crap.

Paul in NZ
06-07-2007, 04:34 AM
Robert I love motor cycle racing and every year there is a annual called motocourse.It has great pictures and a run down of each team and each bike
There is a F1 equivalent called autocourse.See if you can find a bookshop that has it and take a look to see if it what you need.
AUTOCOURSE (http://uk.autocourse.com/)

Ross
06-07-2007, 07:42 AM
Yes, the valves are closed pnuematically because a spring cannot react fast enough.
Truely rocket science is applied to F1. I've heard that it needed to be legislated for the clyinders to be round. Apparently there was some reseach going on with oval shaped cylinders to allow for a combustion chamber better suited to two valves.

Ross
06-07-2007, 07:48 AM
Robert,

Ferrari Formula 1, by Peter Wright is an excellent insight into the their F1-2000.
The author was allowed unprecedented access to the factory. I'm guessing the red cars might not be everyone's favorite here but this book reveals a lot of technology from probably the most dominant car in F1 history.
I think I'll go give it a re-read.