PDA

View Full Version : It's like gearhead crack..a little OT but right on track

paul p (chi-town)
06-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Welp, after way too long, the stars aligned and i found myself lapping a road course.
The annual SE-R convention was here in Chi-town this year and we rented Autobahn north Friday. I’d signed up with Chi-town BMW once way back, but couldn’t get a car ready.
This time the little MR2 finally did exactly what it was built for, some sticky tires and a bleeding was all he needed. Resistance was futile.

It’s not that complicated of a course so by the 3rd session the instructors were willing to let me go out solo. But the track was a little damp after a brief shower a few groups, so i felt the expertise and ballast was a good idea. Not to mention they certainly weren’t mindin a spin in one of the mid engine sleds.
Everyone was blown away by the brakes. You could hit em much later than most of the other cars, often by a whole marker.
Final session; worked on the kink at the end of the front straight were i was braking too early, for a lap or two. At this point the instructor suggested that he was slowing me down and told me to head for pit lane to drop him off.
At fighting weight the car really started to dance.
We will be doing much of this. *grin*

”Hang up & Drive!”
94 BMW 530iT&A 135K, ‘Helga’ ( for sale....WHOOPS, haulin again *confused* )
92 BMW 325i 135K, ‘Rolf’ ( perfect ‘cept for raw bumpers *sigh* )
91 Volvo 740 Turbonium Vagon 195K ‘Thor’ ( where’s my check! *mad* )
93 Datsun NX2000 175K ‘Carla’ ( beater rocket is back *whoohoo* )
85 Toyo MR2 125K ‘Jerry’ ( museum piece / track toy *grin* )
"Do you want the signature On or Off...............too bad." -- Captain Murphy