PDA

View Full Version : OT: does a compact truck have to have duallys to be a 1 ton...

ryan roopnarine
06-05-2007, 07:15 PM
version of the same truck? most commonly, this arrangement would be seen on something like a u-haul, which has a whimpy looking tacoma or such as the chassis, but has dual rear wheels (8 bolt or higher). the 98 ranger we have was used as some manner of box truck (they didn't put all 4 bolts back into the bed) and i need to change the diff fluid on it, which is supposedly different for "1 ton rangers" according to the service book in the glove box. i would assume that nobody would dare even trying to haul heavy with the blistering 150hp 3.0 that thing is equipped with, and that most likely, we have a regular ranger that takes regular oil. thanks.

attack eagle
06-05-2007, 09:05 PM
well fullsizes don't have to be duallys to be one ton...
and my grandparents once had a motorhome bassed off a toyota one ton... with the even smaller 2.4L 22r.

winfred
06-05-2007, 10:59 PM
off hand id say you'd know if it was a 1 ton, there would be just about no travel to the rear suspension when unloaded, 1 ton compacts were kinda uncommon

ryan roopnarine
06-06-2007, 08:27 AM
everyone comments on how pretty damn stiff the truck is for having 200k on it, but i'm assuming that if a riding lawnmower makes the bed go down a little, that it isn't 1 ton. thanks.

repenttokyo
06-06-2007, 08:56 AM
i had no idea they made 1 ton compact trucks, seems like a bit of an oxymoron, no?

bimmerd00d
06-06-2007, 09:18 AM
ever see the Toyota u-hauls? Guess what platform they're built on ;)