PDA

View Full Version : Please Help - Dashboard Display Issue

realness
06-05-2007, 10:05 AM
I just noticed this morning that when I push in the turn signal to display the clock, avg mpg, temperature, and other information in the dashboard it doesn’t display anymore. Just for kicks I pushed the button on the dashboard that is used to turn the dashboard display information off and it flashes a square box and turns off.

The funny thing is the dashboard still displays messages. Ever since I bought this car when I turn on the head lights the dashboard displays “Low Beam”.

I don’t understand why messages would still display but when I push the turn signal to display information it doesn’t work.

Can someone let me know what I need to do to fix this problem?

shogun
06-05-2007, 10:33 AM
The square box is just a test for the check control, if all 'pixel' are working.
Maybe your switch is the problem. Communication OBC<>switch/stalk.
Disassemble it and clean it.
I assume that the data on the OBC are still there?

realness
06-05-2007, 11:32 AM
The square box is just a test for the check control, if all 'pixel' are working.
Maybe your switch is the problem. Communication OBC<>switch/stalk.
Disassemble it and clean it.
I assume that the data on the OBC are still there?

The data in the OBC is still there. Can you give me more information on how disassemble and clean? Where is the switch located?

Ferret
06-05-2007, 03:11 PM
The data in the OBC is still there. Can you give me more information on how disassemble and clean? Where is the switch located?

My 525i used to do this, irritatingly - but it was because I never had the steering column switch installed and hence couldnt bring stuff up on the drivers display.

Your BC switch on the wipers stalk is probably the culprit, and believe me it's easier to get a spare stalk/new part than clean it in most cases...

nirvana19
06-06-2007, 01:06 AM
its functioning properly (assuming the low beam warning indicates an actual problem). Any warning message overrides the OBC display functions. I had a low beam and brake linings warning (low beam is fixed but i have aftermarket brake pads) so I've never been able to get the other functions. It took me a while to figure that out, its actually mentioned in the manual, initially I thought the switch was at fault. I believe if you have the ignition in the radio position (engine off) all the functions will work, but i'm not totally sure about that (I know once I was able to cycle through the functions).

compmore
06-06-2007, 03:29 AM
i had the same low beam message since i bought mine.was at bmw twice and 2 autoelectrians who were not able to solve the problem.found in the archives some who had the same problem and it turned out to be the auto adjusting headlights.

apparently caused by noise in their motors.once i disconected them it's been perfect since

geoff

attack eagle
06-06-2007, 11:33 PM
my electrically adjusted headlights ( are yours manually set via the dash tilt switch?) do not cause any problems compmore... but then I had to run my own wiring for them since US cars were never so equipped.
I'm quite certain it isn't the motors themselves... maybe it's a ground problem in your case.