PDA

View Full Version : what does this key do?

adashio
06-04-2007, 10:17 AM
i have the following key, its from a 1995 520i executive model bmw e34. my car immobilised itself for some reason....i only got this one key when i bought the car so im looking for someone to tell me what this key does. my car doesnt start at all, wont turn over, but all the lights will come on when i turn the key in the ignition. the little led on the remote does NOT flash when i press the buttons, its not the battery so i dont know. ive tried instialising it, but still no led light. does the chip inside this key make the car start? i think the chip could be damaged which is making my car not start...any help would be excellent. thanks

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u186/adashio/cdf9_1.jpg

John B.
06-04-2007, 12:02 PM
The 95s do have a chip in the key that the ignition has to recognize for the car to start. If thats not working you will get all the lights when you turn the key on but it will not crank over.

Boone.Msi
06-04-2007, 12:18 PM
yes, i believe 12/94 BMW started using ewsII which will imobilize your car if the key is isn't chipped. Whats your production date?

adashio
06-04-2007, 10:09 PM
yes, i believe 12/94 BMW started using ewsII which will imobilize your car if the key is isn't chipped. Whats your production date?

just dropped the car off to the dealer, will probobly cost me a fortune. he thinks it might be the ews computer. and to fix it, may cost up to $2500...bugger!

shogun
06-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Remove the car from there as soon as possible. Just let them do a diagnosis, ask them for a detailed print out of the fault codes, take the car and run away.
Then ask here on the forum who has such parts, if really needed.

shrike071
06-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Remove the car from there as soon as possible. Just let them do a diagnosis, ask them for a detailed print out of the fault codes, take the car and run away.

RUN AWAY!!!!!!

myles
06-05-2007, 03:58 PM
What town are you in? One of the other aussies here may have some local guys that they can recommend.

e34.535i.sport
06-05-2007, 04:20 PM
for my e46 (1999) and it was just my everyday key. When i pressed the button the red light would come on so r u sure its not the battery? Is the remote locking working? It does work on a ship but i would imagine if you got the key with the car it should be chipped?

Take the advice and dont get the dealer to do it - check it out yourself first, you can always go back if you need to.

Let us know how you get on.

e34.535i.sport
06-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Oh and i only got the one key with my e46 when i bought that - i went in to check how much a new key would be (chipped an all) and they said £90 so check this out as well...

Boone.Msi
06-05-2007, 08:05 PM
look on your door sill, a production date will clear alot of things up, and help us determine whether it is ews related or not. Pick the car up, Get a new remote battery, write down your production date, then report back to us.

Zeuk in Oz
06-05-2007, 11:31 PM
+1

Where are you in Oz ?

ltflint
06-06-2007, 12:15 AM
I was quoted about $200 for new EWS control module and 4 keys from my local dealer.

Paul in NZ
06-06-2007, 04:43 AM
I think you can also tell us more.The car (with this key) was starting,locking,unlocking alright before this,and then one morning it unlocked but wouldnt start?Does it crank over?

adashio
06-07-2007, 09:27 AM
I think you can also tell us more.The car (with this key) was starting,locking,unlocking alright before this,and then one morning it unlocked but wouldnt start?Does it crank over?

i took it to an euto elecrition first, and he came up with no fault codes on his computer. i didnt want to spend more money on tow truck fees/ car trailer fees so i just wanted it fixed....i knew it was going to cost me a fortune but if i took its omewhere else there was no guarentee they could fix it. he did every diagnosis and he said its the key witch is making the car not start. apparently there is a chip in the key and a transponder in the ingition area, and the chip inside the key was damaged therefore making the car not start......he quoted me $450 for a new key plus have it programmed, which to me seems disgusting...the key apparently is coming from singapore. so $450 plus labour which he said bmw charges $120 an hour for.....i have no idea how many hours he spent on the car but he said to me, "i dont care what another mechanic said, i want to check everything and make sure everything is ok" which makes me worried...he probobly spent hours and hours on it...oh well! **** happens....thanks guys for the offers to help me, i did post a couple of other posts as to why my car wouldnt start, but didnt get a rock solid answer...