PDA

View Full Version : M30/535i auto trans. engine & tranny mounts

Unregistered
05-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Best techniques for replacing engine and tranny mounts? (It seems straitforward, but I thought it best to ask for suggestions.)

For example, on tranny mounts, is it easier to unbolt the cross-member under the rear of the tranny, then undo the mounts? Or is it easier to just loosen the nuts, jack up the engine/tranny, slip out old mounts and slip in new ones, etc.?

Trevor
05-11-2004, 06:47 AM
I hate to tell you but to replace tranny mounts involves either removing the full exhaust system or at least lowering it considerably. Easier if you have a hoist but can be done on axle stands.
You need to lower/remove the exhaust to access the trans mount bolts. Once you have access to these it's quote staightforward.

Unregistered
05-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Really?

Not hearing any suggestions to that time, on Sunday I simply put a floor jack and piece of wood under the tranny, jacked it slightly, reached up and unscrewed the 4 mounting bolts on the dogbone-shaped crossmember and the 4 end nuts on the old rubber mounts, and removed them. Slipped in new mounts, dabbed Loctite on all threads, and re-installed bolts and nuts. ~15 minute procedure on 1990 535i with automatic transmission. Required no involvement with the exhaust whatever, other than having to reach around it for access to the rubber mounts' nuts.

632 Regal
05-11-2004, 01:02 PM
well done! sometimes its better to just dive in I guess

Unregistered
05-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Actually, I should confess that I got my kid to do it:

In driveway, raised the car enough to crawl under, unbolted dogbone crossmember (4 bolts), used ~3" extension on socket wrench to loosen upper rubber mount nuts by reaching over driveshaft, then assy. drops off. Install new rubber mounts in reverse order.

It's a slim fit between driveshaft and tunnel sites, so the kid's skinny arm works best.