PDA

View Full Version : Installing rear brake pads - need help

Al Gray
06-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Hi everyone. I have done this job before a couple times and I remember there is always a little trick to install the rear brake pads. I have pressed in the caliper piston all the way with a large C clamp. I have installed the inner pad, the one with the 3 clips and that is seated all the and makes contact with the caliper piston. The problem I am having is figuring out how to install the outer pad. I can't seem to get enough clearance to slide it in. I have done this before but I can't remember how I did it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Al Gray (Age 60 but still young at heart)

Jon K
06-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Al make sure to loosen the carrier bolts (hex heads) on the backside of the caliper and pull the carrier pins out (in a manner to make the caliper wider) as far as possible once the carrier is connected.

Al Gray
06-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Should you remove the carrier pins and install the out disk first and then the inner disk? The Bently Manual really is not clear. It just says installation is the reverse of removal. There is no mention of carrier pins with the hex heads until you mentioned it to me. (they are hidden by a dust boot). Further clarification would be appreciated.

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-04-2007, 08:41 PM
on the back of the caliper.

they pop off the allow acces to the pins (I think its a 7mm hex)

I usally load the calipers off the carrier and side them back into place.

632 Regal
06-04-2007, 09:01 PM
+1. do not lube the carrier bolts but clean them with a wire brush or similar, they are stainless steel.
on the back of the caliper.

they pop off the allow acces to the pins (I think its a 7mm hex)

I usally load the calipers off the carrier and side them back into place.