PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have an old center console panel

KurtM
06-01-2007, 04:58 PM
for a manual car? How is the boot attached to the panel? Realoem does not show a retention clip or attachment points so I assume it just snaps in the panel and is held from the underside. I want to update the look of my automatic and add a boot. I have 2 panels for automatics and want to modify but not sure if I can buy a boot and make the opening larger to accomodate the boot and it will stay in place on my panel. The gears are displayed on the dash so no need to have them on the console also. Not sure about retaining use the A & M switch since living in California the weather is mild.

Thanks,

Kurt 95 525ia

Ross
06-01-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't think the manual trim panel will have the hole in the right spot to cover the auto shifter.
Maybe your existing panel will accomodate the boot if you cut it out. As far as the switch goes, just unclip it from the panel and bury it in the console.

KurtM
06-01-2007, 05:20 PM
to determine. I tried to modify my auto panel and made a boot, just can't hold in place and it looks cheap. Been looking on Ebay for a newer model auto shifter cover that I could modify, just not really what I want to do.

Kurt

attack eagle
06-01-2007, 07:05 PM
did you see the e38 shifter?

It's pretty "stick" looking.
shogun did a write up on it.
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/257144

see thread on bf.c as well
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757708

Gayle
06-05-2007, 12:09 AM
Not sure if this is what you are asking for, but I replaced the wood surround in my manual 535. The old one is in great shape. It was just that it had been previously replaced and the wood was a walnut grain, while the rest of the trim was a burl. The mismatch bugged me. I certainly have no need for the old one. The indy did the switch for me, but I think it just snaps in place. The new one was something like $186. I didn't bother to ask how much it was before ordering. Ouch.

e34.535i.sport
06-05-2007, 04:32 PM
I have a manual and switched the interior trim from grey to black leather. I changed the whole centre console and seats etc - the donor stuff was from an automatic so there were a couple of extra wholes for buttons and things in it which i plugged with some black leather from an old door card. Anyway the gear boot is the same shape on auto/manual and will clip in. It just has clips on the back and front that hold it on. You are best pulling up from the front first if i remember correctly. Obviously i couldn't use the auto gear boot for my manual with the long thin strip running through the middle so i got some leather spray paint and used that. Worked a treat for me and looks seemless.

Hope this helps.

e34.535i.sport
06-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Misread what you meant there - you mean the soft leather thing around the stick. Ok - that does just clip in and i'm sure you could customise a manual surround to accomodate an auto gearstick - newer 5 series have them sometimes and they look great.

KurtM
06-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Please send me a message as I would like to discuss the console panel.

Thanks,