PDA

View Full Version : Woo! I think the last of my parts came!

Jon K
05-31-2007, 03:34 PM
I think I am done buying parts. I went a little overboard in what I am replacing but I figured do it right the first time and not regret things later. So I am doing all of the chains, all of the chain guides, tensioner, oil press sender (yeah, i dunno why either), I sourced 30 new oil pan bolts to keep my powder coated beauty looking perfect, sourced new main bolts, valve stem seals for the non vanos head, and all oil related gaskets and seals are brand new. Its hard to find some of these parts - I used autohausaz.com for most of them but they don't have everything.

Stuff not in the picture is valve cover gaskets (all), some plastic cover caps, new caps for the valve cover, and some dowels for the flywheel/crank/etc.

ARP studs, and a 0.140" MLS are here also.

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Motor%20Build/rebuildparts.jpg

To be combined with these parts:

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Motor%20Build/allparts.jpg

It should, hopefully, be one of the cleanest engine rebuilds I have seen! Just need to find a little bit more money to go to the machine shop and get the block decked and honed, the head checked, and then powder coat the block and head. I am going to probably be soda blasting my head this weekend and re-assembling it once it's checked out up at Jays shop.

Progress feels good!

Might need one order for miscellaneous stuff I may have forgot, but this is looking good.

RobPatt
05-31-2007, 03:41 PM
....a doctor about this...?

Just kidding, happy for you, and yes, does look marvelous, and look forward to more pix of the progress and results, as always!

I'm sure you're aware many of us vicariously upgrade our E34s through you.

Cheers,
Rob sends....

Jon K
05-31-2007, 03:53 PM
....a doctor about this...?

Haha you are not the first one to recommend this ;)

Ross
05-31-2007, 05:31 PM
What is an MLS Jon?

Jon K
05-31-2007, 05:35 PM
What is an MLS Jon?

Sorry Ross - MLS == Multi-Layered Steel. Headgasket is comprised of layers of steel rather than paper/rubber/crap like an OE gasket. Not to say OE isn't good, but the MLS gaskets use a spacer portion that space the head off the block to reduce compression.

Here is an image:

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Motor%20Build/140mls.jpg

repenttokyo
05-31-2007, 05:45 PM
....which is only really important / desireable in FI cars ;)

Jon K
05-31-2007, 05:51 PM
....which is only really important / desireable in FI cars ;)

Right. Or cars with the heads machined (like when people warp them).

But still, an MLS gasket is a great investment on a stock car also. They are much stronger. I am using ARP head studs and MLS gasket... the studs are way stronger and more consistent than OE head bolts, and the gasket is way more durable. If someone were rebuilding their stock motor to last longer I would immediately recommend ARP studs and an MLS stock size gasket.

Ross
05-31-2007, 05:58 PM
I was just re-reading your post and didn't see a head gasket mentioned and was curious about what kind you intended to endure the abuse that is sure to be heaped upon it. Do you still use prevailing torque fasteners? Are you going to studs? Just how much boost are you giving it?

TC535i
05-31-2007, 06:10 PM
I was just re-reading your post and didn't see a head gasket mentioned and was curious about what kind you intended to endure the abuse that is sure to be heaped upon it. Do you still use prevailing torque fasteners? Are you going to studs? Just how much boost are you giving it?
MLS = headgasket and I assume ARP bolts?

mikeythekidd
05-31-2007, 06:12 PM
Woo woo!! All those shiney, new parts just gave me goose bumps. We're all a bunch of sickos!

Jon K
05-31-2007, 06:34 PM

Yeah I am using a 0.140" MLS headgasket to get the compression around 8.3:1, and using ARP Head studs for fastening it down. Right now I am running 9 - 10 psi (gear dependent) and intend to run 22 - 24 psi on pump fuel and 30 psi on 110 oct.

winfred
05-31-2007, 07:12 PM
did ya get the little rubber grommits that go around the valve cover bolts? most people forget those. i still gotta get all of the radiator/heater hoses a water pump, t-belt and tensioner and a radiator for mine, i scored racetech head and main studs from a abandoned project for my build, nothing like $400 worth of free hardware :D

Jon K
05-31-2007, 07:34 PM
Got the grommets damn winfred didnt you look at the pic? that, or your age is showing :)

nothing like free hardware for sure! $229 mls gasket and $190 arp head studs = :(

bmwrp8
05-31-2007, 08:08 PM
YEAHH!!:D now thats what I call Shopping!!:D

Dave M
05-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Very nice Jon, I'd be looking forward to wrenching on all that 'new' stuff.

winfred
05-31-2007, 10:13 PM
eh i just skimmed and missed them, paxton sn92 that i fully rebuilt $670 and bob the counterweights and balance my crank $320, to ice the cake my plasma cutter took a **** and the estimate to fix it is just about the cost of a new one so building a bracket for the blower just got more fun, unless i can figure out what crapped and fix it myself. it never ****ing ends, after i get the e30 going i have the e24 to get on the road, then to decide how nasty to build a m30 to hold me over to the main event, and then theres da truck to pump up another 100 hp and 200 lb or so of torque

Got the grommets damn winfred didnt you look at the pic? that, or your age is showing :)

nothing like free hardware for sure! $229 mls gasket and $190 arp head studs = :(

Jon K
05-31-2007, 10:33 PM
When it rains it pours - I know!

clindahl
06-01-2007, 07:24 AM
You have taking purchaing car parts to a whole new level. Looks good and hopefully the rebuilt will get you to the boot level you want - INSANE :)

Ross
06-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Are the ARP studs the same size or larger? How are you going to torque things up with this combo?
30# huh, ought to be a kick in the pants!

Jon K
06-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Same size studs - we torque to 65 - 70 ft lbs... warm engine, retorque, done.

Barney Paull-Edwards
06-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Wow! If you are going to fit that gasket, make sure you plane the block to compensate and get the machinist to fly-cut the head to bite the gasket. Good luck and sens pics of the build.

ILoveMPower
06-01-2007, 01:32 PM
This is for the motor you've been building on the side right? Not the one in-car currently?

It's going to look amazing man, nice job.

Boone.Msi
06-01-2007, 01:41 PM
ARP studs, and a 0.140" MLS are here also.

Oooh, more boost :devil look

Will definantly look great

Jon K
06-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Wow! If you are going to fit that gasket, make sure you plane the block to compensate and get the machinist to fly-cut the head to bite the gasket. Good luck and sens pics of the build.

Not decking the block to compensate - that's the whole point. Thick headgasket will lower the compression.

Yeah these parts are for the motor that I have on an engine stand currently.

Woot!

ILoveMPower
06-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Yeah these parts are for the motor that I have on an engine stand currently.

Woot!

Ouch, you're such a tease.

rob101
06-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Same size studs - we torque to 65 - 70 ft lbs... warm engine, retorque, done.
hey Jon, is it possible to install those studs with the engine in the car, I have read some stuff from ARP and they say it may not be sometimes because of overhead obstructions in the engine bay

I assume it would be possible in the e34, but since you seem have more practical experience in pulling off heads than I, I figured I'd ask. I will finally free of the daily reliance on my e34 and will have to do some headwork. I'd rather use studs they sound easier to line up the head and gasket with.

Jon K
06-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Yeah the M50 E34s can have the head removed, studs installed, and head put back down in the engine. The E36 cannot. The E30 with an M50/S50 motor swap can have the head installed with studs with the motor in the car as we did my friends S52 turbo E30.

rob101
06-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Yeah the M50 E34s can have the head removed, studs installed, and head put back down in the engine. The E36 cannot. The E30 with an M50/S50 motor swap can have the head installed with studs with the motor in the car as we did my friends S52 turbo E30.
thanks, yeah i figured the e36 would be near impossible with that overhanging shite over the back of the engine. where did you get your head gasket from? Vacmotorsports?

winfred
06-07-2007, 08:28 PM
yea but you can take the studs out and then pull the head, like my truck with the back 2 cylinders under the cowl, it has two holes in the cowl for the back two bolts to be removed through, theres no way in hell i could pull or install the head with my studs

thanks, yeah i figured the e36 would be near impossible with that overhanging shite over the back of the engine.

Jon K
06-07-2007, 08:32 PM
yea but you can take the studs out and then pull the head, like my truck with the back 2 cylinders under the cowl, it has two holes in the cowl for the back two bolts to be removed through, theres no way in hell i could pull or install the head with my studs

I think you can fit the stud into the head and then torque it into the block (the are only hand tight in the block). Shouldn't be much of an issue.

winfred
06-07-2007, 08:40 PM
it's just like a bolt and you can get the original bolts in and out

I think you can fit the stud into the head and then torque it into the block (the are only hand tight in the block). Shouldn't be much of an issue.

Jon K
06-07-2007, 08:47 PM
it's just like a bolt and you can get the original bolts in and out

Yeah true it should be fine. I've never done an E36. Only E30/34.