PDA

View Full Version : You guys ready for the E34 Summer Meet?

Jr ///M5
05-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Well there are only 9 days left....you guys got it together? Are you ready? Can you say, "ROAD TRIP!"

I know gas is out of this world these days, but this is a once a year deal. Last year was a blast.

See your old friends, make some new ones. Chances are that you'll go home with more knowledge than when you came.

Admire the cars, enjoy the day with the other enthusiasts.

One thing is for certain. It's one of the fastest days you'll spend on the planet, and it'll probably rain.....;)

Same place as last year...

Hope to see you there!

JR

632 Regal
05-30-2007, 09:49 PM
not even close, my car looks like S_it

Dave M
05-30-2007, 09:53 PM
Actually convinced my wife to go. Seriously considering coming down from the great white north.

winfred
05-30-2007, 10:48 PM
with all i've spent on building the e30s new motor (bout $1500 with the supercharger and machine work on the stroker crank, plus the rest of the crap it takes to build a motor) and having just saved a 633 from the salvage yard to the tune of $750, i think ill bow out and maybe shoot for next year unless a bag of money falls outta the sky in the next week and a half

632 Regal
05-30-2007, 11:16 PM
ill give you 50 bux just to show up and crash a go-cart or something else insanely funny...
with all i've spent on building the e30s new motor (bout $1500 with the supercharger and machine work on the stroker crank, plus the rest of the crap it takes to build a motor) and having just saved a 633 from the salvage yard to the tune of $750, i think ill bow out and maybe shoot for next year unless a bag of money falls outta the sky in the next week and a half

ThoreauHD
05-30-2007, 11:31 PM
My car looks great, but sadly I work so damn much I can't get time to eat much less vacation. Next year I should be in the clear to meet some of you crazy people.

winfred
05-30-2007, 11:38 PM
**** if enough people wanted parts delivered id drive the truck up and pull the afc then smoke out the park :D

ill give you 50 bux just to show up and crash a go-cart or something else insanely funny...

ryan roopnarine
05-30-2007, 11:44 PM
i've been recalculating and cashing in coin jars and such...
i had planned to go go since january, but i had to deal with a law enforcement officer that decided to go to court and lie........
if i went to the vamporium and spent every cent i had, i'd barely make more than gas money now.

if i win a scratch-off ticket to the tune of at least $200 during the next 8 days or so, i'll go. otherwise, sorry to have missed you all.
definitely next year. if not next year, then never.

632 Regal
05-30-2007, 11:51 PM
damn another 50 bux, hope no more quitters need compensation! C'mon Ryan, show up in your wall mart suit and Ill give an extra 10 bux. :D

i've been recalculating and cashing in coin jars and such...
i had planned to go go since january, but i had to deal with a law enforcement officer that decided to go to court and lie........
if i went to the vamporium and spent every cent i had, i'd barely make more than gas money now.

if i win a scratch-off ticket to the tune of at least $200 during the next 8 days or so, i'll go. otherwise, sorry to have missed you all.
definitely next year. if not next year, then never.

ryan roopnarine
05-30-2007, 11:59 PM
damn another 50 bux, hope no more quitters need compensation! C'mon Ryan, show up in your wall mart suit and Ill give an extra 10 bux. :D

motel 6 "click six" internet rate says yes, bank account, and the fact that the earliest i can leave florada is 1230 pm on friday says no. i even thought about putting new plugs in the impala and driving it to see how low i could get the fuel costs down to. after examining every possible angle, it doesn't look like it's going to work out this year. i'm going to try (if it is still around next year) and play hookey, maybe leave 6 am and join you folks for friday night entertainment.

its a goodwill suit, not a walmart suit. i don't wear dress clothes with any proportion of polyester :D

632 Regal
05-31-2007, 12:13 AM
Polyester is cool too... I knew you oult make it but my hopes and your sharp vague responses made it all worth while.
motel 6 "click six" internet rate says yes, bank account, and the fact that the earliest i can leave florada is 1230 pm on friday says no. i even thought about putting new plugs in the impala and driving it to see how low i could get the fuel costs down to. after examining every possible angle, it doesn't look like it's going to work out this year. i'm going to try (if it is still around next year) and play hookey, maybe leave 6 am and join you folks for friday night entertainment.

its a goodwill suit, not a walmart suit. i don't wear dress clothes with any proportion of polyester :D

Ross
05-31-2007, 07:36 AM
Err, Jeff. Um, I err was thinking that ,.. well money has been tight lately so....

632 Regal
05-31-2007, 12:02 PM
nice try Ross... I'll bring them shorted plug wires to you instead.
Err, Jeff. Um, I err was thinking that ,.. well money has been tight lately so....

Jr ///M5
05-31-2007, 04:25 PM
The Cicadas will be there....

Jon K
05-31-2007, 04:28 PM
I am out this one, boys. Next year for certain though -- too much going on having graduated/lookingforjob/enginebuild no time or money for this nonsense :) Next year though - look out ;)

E34 530
06-01-2007, 03:22 AM
I also might be stepping this one out this year, not sure yet though.

MarkD
06-01-2007, 06:34 AM
My wife Barbara and I will be driving down from Toronto. I hope they let me across the border as I had a problem when I went to Metric Mechanic, they said I needed a work permit. Hopefully that doesn't cause a problem on this trip.

Here are some pictures of us so you know who to look for.

I won't be wearing my "Chip King" hat. :p

http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/3571/1523916129058792060S200x200Q85.jpg (http://family.webshots.com/photo/1523916129058792060mcRKba)

http://inlinethumb34.webshots.com/3041/1523916191058792060S200x200Q85.jpg (http://family.webshots.com/photo/1523916191058792060sfXyOK)

bimmerd00d
06-01-2007, 08:25 AM
You know me......see you guys there. Need to revive the friday night thread that's stickied, i'll be stickying this one too.

Brandon J
06-01-2007, 12:19 PM
I am getting ready. I have to wash the car. Kris and I are installing the trim on his freshly painted Daytona Violet M5. I am bringing food again too! What I do cherish about these meets is we don't get people who attend just to park their car and expect people to gawk over it. We meet the people - the interesting, knowledgeable, mature (sometimes), and fun people who share the trials and triumphs of owning a BMW e34.

The drive over is still cheaper than flying. The meet is still FREE. Gas is expensive, but damn people pay more than $4.00 for a cup of coffee everyday. We pay more for frivolous parts or for detailing. Ed spends more to upkeep this board. Plus, driving in an e34, can't put a price on that.

Chicago is a great city to visit. Lovely attractions. Great food. Watching a baseball game at Wrigley Field is simply priceless; really turns back the clock. Forget Sears tower to see the big city, go to the John Hancock building in the Signature Lounge. Grab a drink and dessert at night. They say the women's bathroom has the best view in the city. Visit Millenium Park, a local bar, or watch the play Wicked. I can help you with directions, traffic avoidance, and parking locations.

I am excited about this year's meet. Just as excited as the past 6 years.

Winfred: Brandon H does need a M20 head, what differentials do you have for the e34, any Jeep ZJ parts...

Triton540i
06-02-2007, 06:47 AM
I have a laundry list of things to do to my car before I go, including:

-Install both front wheel bearings
-Install new front rotors and brake pads
-Install all new steering links
-Alignment
-Install M5 (sedan) front sway bar & M5 (Touring) rear sway bar & all new bushings.
-Buff the car out

... and replace some misc sensors and little rubber gromets, fun stuff huh?

I'm not going carting with the gang on Friday, I'm meeting up with my buddy Lisel and hopefully going out on the town! My 5er and I will see you Saturday morning!

Hey... is the old website working from last year for directions, I haven't checked yet.

-Eric
Oh... if you want to see pictures of last year's event, go to www.technobmw.com (My Minneapolis Group's Site) and click on "Monthly Gatherings," then pictures, then on the international gatherings and I have a couple video clips and lots of pictures. :)

Fetch
06-02-2007, 08:09 AM
I'll be there :D

Is anybody going who's parting out a car and has an oil dip stick I can buy for my 530?....The pull loop is broken on mine...

E34 530
06-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Sorry to say this guys but I'm 95% sure I'm not coming this year. My dad said he would go, but it was one of those things where he was willing to go but I could tell he wasn't really feeling it. He's done so much for me this year with my first year of college and everything and I understand seeing he would be paying for gas, hotel, etc. He's also been quite run down this year, helping my sister with looking at colleges, his business, home repairs, my college issues, and he always seems to have a cold that never goes away. Really wanted to show off my new paint too, oh well :( . Anyway, have a great time guys and hope to be there next year. -Andrew Hart

ryan roopnarine
06-02-2007, 08:28 PM
sorry that this thread has turned into a "i can't come 'cause......." thread there jr.

winfred
06-02-2007, 09:57 PM
built/refreshed and checked by me I heads go for $650, i have some posi diffs but it depends on what flange/year model on whether they will drop in without swapping flanges, no jeep stuff

Winfred: Brandon H does need a M20 head, what differentials do you have for the e34, any Jeep ZJ parts...

stargazer_61
06-03-2007, 05:12 AM
I'll break the "can't comes". My E34 is just about ready for the trip up. Just a few things left:

1) Install the front grill
2) Reassemble the last wheel
3) New rear tires
4) Install bumper caps
5) Wash & detail

Hopefully I can get the sunroof realigned to get rid of the annoying low-speed whistle. If anyone has a spare cruise control stalk, driver side fog light lens and/or high beam lens laying around that I can buy, that'd be great. I have a spare door seal from the scrap yard that I used for fixing the shrinkage, if anyone needs some.

Heading out Wednesday afternoon for a Thursday arrival and a quick trip to the planetarium, then Friday it's off to the Science & Industry museum. Not sure about karting yet. I know that you local folks know where to eat, and maybe this is "touristy", but last time I was up there I ate at the Weber Grill downtown. Awesome food. This time around it's eating at local places that we saw as we walked around.

Looking forward to the meet. Thanks Brandon J, bimmerdood, and everyone else for putting the meet together.

bimmerd00d
06-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Heading out Wednesday afternoon for a Thursday arrival and a quick trip to the planetarium, then Friday it's off to the Science & Industry museum. Not sure about karting yet. I know that you local folks know where to eat, and maybe this is "touristy", but last time I was up there I ate at the Weber Grill downtown. Awesome food. This time around it's eating at local places that we saw as we walked around.

Looking forward to the meet. Thanks Brandon J, bimmerdood, and everyone else for putting the meet together.

i think this would be interesting. The g/f and I are planning on checking out the zoo and aquarium as well if they aren't $50 to get in :D The bimmerd00d lost his 2nd job, so we're trying to cut back on the expenses a little now. :(

winfred
06-03-2007, 03:41 PM
just took a quick look on the shelf, 3.46 3.91 and 4.10 all ls all small flange/small bolt (13mm nuts on the driveshaft) i have a big flange ls in a 750il but i can't remember the ratio 3.25 rings a bell but i may be wrong

Brandon J
06-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Guys,

There are days where the museums here have free general admission.

Museum of Science and industry: http://www.msichicago.org/info/admission/prices.html scroll down a bit

Art Institute of Chicago:
Free on Thurs and Fridays 5-9pm http://www.artic.edu/aic/visitor_info/index.html

Look for a package deal from City Pass: http://www.citypass.com/city/chicago.html?id=ot7XZ7xv

If you are looking for restaurants, visit www.metromix.com (http://www.metromix.com), http://www.leye.com/welcome.html, or ask me.

For more things to see downtown: http://www.millenniumpark.org/

Here are some parking options: http://www.chicagotraveler.com/chicago_parking.htm

If I find more for you guys I'll post it.

bimmerd00d
06-04-2007, 03:43 PM
i'm sure we're up for going out and doing something that isn't too terribly expensive a few nights. We have no real plans in the mix yet, just getting there is all we've planned so far :)

Brandon J
06-04-2007, 05:56 PM
I am just glad you made it out last year so we could fix your tank issure correctly. Talk about a better place to get your e34 repaired. Hmm, almost a dozen BMW e34 specialized home mechanics, resources for parts, and great people to talk to while doing it. You can tell others how you learned a lot about the e34 in that one day.

Next year is the e34's 20th anniversary and it will be great to talk to people at the meet this year about it. Isn't Mark D making out too? He can educate people about chips, software, and new updates. I am sure he can sell and install a few too. Would be great to get into his mind.

Last year I met an e34 owner for the first time and he helped me with some paintless dent removal. The previous year I met someone in the same work field as I. In the past 6+ years, I have met some really great people. Hey, where else can you meet nice enthusiasts and get subframe bushings changed in almost 10 34s in one weekend. Or, meet the people who can do a whole suspension/drivetrain/engine swap into a touring in only 2 weekends. Or in your case, find a spare gas tank on a Saturday evening and the right people to show you how to swap in a good one correctly.

The knowledge, the experience, the people - priceless.

Sorry to say this guys but I'm 95% sure I'm not coming this year. My dad said he would go, but it was one of those things where he was willing to go but I could tell he wasn't really feeling it. He's done so much for me this year with my first year of college and everything and I understand seeing he would be paying for gas, hotel, etc. He's also been quite run down this year, helping my sister with looking at colleges, his business, home repairs, my college issues, and he always seems to have a cold that never goes away. Really wanted to show off my new paint too, oh well :( . Anyway, have a great time guys and hope to be there next year. -Andrew Hart

winfred
06-07-2007, 09:36 PM
too little too late, just won a thousand bucks on the radio today :D :D :D http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/rockin.gif
couple days ago id jumped in the car and got after it

i think ill bow out and maybe shoot for next year unless a bag of money falls outta the sky in the next week and a half

Jr ///M5
06-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Congratulations winfred. Stash it away for next years meet. It will be the 20th anniversary for the E34. I'm sure it will be the one NOT to miss!!!

I'm packed and leaving in about an hour. Travel mercies to everyone that's making the trip.

See ya'll at the park on Saturday! (and hopefully, I'll see YOU next year winfred!)

Bag o' money fell out of the sky right in your lap....well, it's what you asked for right? =)

JR

winfred
06-08-2007, 08:05 AM
da e30 should be mean nasty and tested by then or who knows, maybe my 633 could be something to behold by then http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/burnout.gif

Congratulations winfred. Stash it away for next years meet. It will be the 20th anniversary for the E34. I'm sure it will be the one NOT to miss!!!

I'm packed and leaving in about an hour. Travel mercies to everyone that's making the trip.

See ya'll at the park on Saturday! (and hopefully, I'll see YOU next year winfred!)

Bag o' money fell out of the sky right in your lap....well, it's what you asked for right? =)

JR