PDA

View Full Version : headlight lens replacement

John in CT
05-30-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm trying to remove the front grill in order to expose the headlamp for replacement (cracked lens), and have run into some problems. Using a thin screwdriver and wooden wedges I think I have released the outboard clips below the low beam lamp and have unlatched the two catches near the center as well. Bentley shows a single screw here but so be it. This doesn't free up the grill assembly for removal as Bentley manual suggests. I have moved the outer-most edges a good 1/4 inch from where they started but there seems to be a hangup further inboard. Are there additional clips associated with the 1995 cars? Any wisdom appreciated,

John
1995 525i 5 speed

stargazer_61
05-30-2007, 07:26 PM
John,

The outboard ends of the grill probably need to come out about 1/2 inch to be sure that they're fully released. There is actually a guide for the screwdriver molded into the lamp casing. Put a lamp down in there and you'll see it.

It sounds like you got the ones on the lower inside the kidneys as well. Yep, no screw up top, as Bentley states. But there are tabs on top that you may have to pull up on.

Keep working at it. It took me over an hour to get mine off. There is no joy in the removal process. Good Luck!

John