PDA

View Full Version : Audio upgrade questions

zhandax
05-30-2007, 05:51 AM
I am about to replace the sound system with an Elipse CD3000 head unit, the CD changer with an XM Commander, the factory amp with a couple of PPIs and install a DVC 12" bass driver in an enclosure in the trunk. I had all these grand plans to keep a digital signal all the way through, but from reading, it appears that the stock changer has its own A/D converter and sends an analog signal to the head unit, the stock head unit sends speaker level signals to the amp, and the Elcipse HU takes an analog signal on its CD changer input. This makes it appear useless to tap the digital out leads on the XM Commander circuit board. I have the connector to wire onto the Eclipse so the replacement is a direct drop-in.

The question, is it better to wire the RCA preamp outs from the HU into the stock wiring to the amp and then bypass the factory amp to hit the PPI with a preamp signal? Another question which may to go unanswered is can anyone confirm that the Eclipse has no digital inputs?

Tiger
05-30-2007, 05:55 AM
You are doing all that only to keep factory speakers?

zhandax
05-30-2007, 06:26 AM
I still have the MB Quarts I pulled out of the E28 (4" coaxials w/tweeters and 5.25" mids) but I have not checked to see if they will fit. I wanted to do this this past weekend, but the bass amp (PCX2200) did not arrive until today. Anyway, I got sidetracked painting a few rooms in my house.

Tiger
05-30-2007, 07:43 AM
You need component setup in front for sure... You see, you got all the components... you should go all the way. At least component in front... use your 5.25 in rear and rewire the whole system. Use quality RCA to feed the amps.

zhandax
05-30-2007, 01:32 PM
You would not patch the RCA outs from the HU to the stock wiring harness and patch back to RCA at the stock amp inputs? The RCA cables I used in the E28 are too bulky to fit under the door sills and I was under the impression that the stock harness was shielded fairly well.

Tiger
05-30-2007, 01:49 PM
No. I would not patch the RCA. Pop the door sills off and slip it behind the carpet. It fits there as I did that on my car.

gmannino
05-30-2007, 02:00 PM
CD3000 has no digital output. It believe it has 5 volts preamp output, which would be nice for your new amps. Bypassing the factory amp would also bypass the crossovers. Meaning if you keep any factory speakers, you better put crossovers or they will blow quickly. Any new speakers you install will need crossovers too. That is unless you amp has built in crossovers, which match the crossover points of the speakers you are using.

I'de install the cd3000, buy the XM digital adapter for it and scrap the commander. You will be able to tune into your XM channels with the radio's controls. Feed rca low outputs to your new amps, then connect the factory wires to your speakers, with crossovers of course.

You should also run new speaker wire if those amps are high powered. If your going to replace the radio and bypass the amp, you might as well bypass all the wiring as well.

zhandax
05-31-2007, 04:28 AM
I have been unable to find an XM digital adapter for it. Sirius, yes but XM, no. I even bought the Sirius adapter thinking I would hook a PC oscilliscope up, capture the signals, and make a translator to make my own XM adapater. The way this year is shaping up at work, I will not have the time to devote to it. If you know of an XM adapter, tell me where to get it.

gmannino
05-31-2007, 03:00 PM
You're correct, Eclipse only offers Sirius. Feed signal from your commander into RCA input of your eclipse.

zhandax
06-01-2007, 04:16 AM
The stealer who did maintanence for the PO reported that the CD changer would not stay repaired and needed replacing. Since I have the Sirius unit cable which connects to the Eclipse changer jack, I thought I would splice the Commander outputs into the Sirius-Eclipse cable. That is why I was wondering if the changer sent a digital signal. I know how to tap the circuit board in the XM direct box of the Commander to get a digital out, but the best I can determine, the changers send an analog signal from their built-in D/A converters. If correct, the Eclipse is expecting an analog input and I may as well just splice the RCA outs from the Commander into the cable to the HU.