PDA

View Full Version : rental car question

markus
05-29-2007, 03:59 PM
if someone rents you a car and you are not 21 years of age can they still charge u for it?

repenttokyo
05-29-2007, 04:16 PM
what?

swenpro
05-29-2007, 04:18 PM
if I understand correctly... just pay and be happy they let you rent a car :D

markus
05-29-2007, 04:19 PM
ok since my car has been in the shop for the past month the dickhead i bought the car from wants me to pay for the rental even though it took the guy a month to just start on it.

anyways it clearly states that you must be atleast 21 years of age to rent the car. I am 20. So technically he cant charge me for this thing can he?

repenttokyo
05-29-2007, 04:24 PM
it doesn't work that way. if you tried to make a point of this, you are guilty of fraud. they aren't guilty of "renting to a 20 year old".

in any case, is it your state law, or is it company policy?

markus
05-29-2007, 04:29 PM
company policy. not valid affter 30 days

repenttokyo
05-29-2007, 04:30 PM
if it's company policy, i doubt you have a chance.

GoldenOne
05-29-2007, 04:31 PM
im confused on why the previous owner is making you rent a car if YOUR car has been in the shop...i must of missed the story, do tell

but some places do rent to minors (ppl under 25) but you have to pay some rediculous fee to do so

whiskychaser
05-29-2007, 04:31 PM
if someone rents you a car and you are not 21 years of age can they still charge u for it?

Your laws are probably different but in England for there to be a contract, there must be what is called a 'consideration' ie in consideration of you giving them loads of money, they rent you a car. Without that there is no contract - and I dont see you driving any car away. But I have the feeling there is more to your question than that :-)

Just read yr reponse in meantime. I'd say whoever RENTED the car has to pay for it, not whoever drives it.

repenttokyo
05-29-2007, 04:32 PM
if you wreck the car, and the insurance finds out you are under 21, pretty sure the rental company wouldn't be covered.

markus
05-29-2007, 04:41 PM
alright heres the story one more time.

I bought my car from a lot btw, not a PO.

sometime in the beginning of april, the valve body died in my 540i. I took it to the place where I bought it from because I had a month left on the warranty.

well the guy was nice enough to let me have a car ( a ford taurus nonetheless) and said the warranty company would pay for it. blah blah blah.

anyway the guy working on the car didnt even get a chance to start working on it till a month later. And now the guy who i bought the car from says he wants his car back. Well the mechanic knew he had a job to do but it took him forever to do it. I stopped in a week ago and the car was still in pieces but the used tranny (warranty companies only give u used ****) was still on the floor. The used one didnt come with the new cooler on it so the mechanic stripped the threads on the old one while trying to transfer it. I get a call from the guy who sold me the car today after work and said he talked to the mechanic and told him my idea of converting it into a 5-speed. the guy who sold me the car was going on about how nice he thinks he is because he gave me this car and how he isnt going to charge me for and and how much money he is losing per week.

im thinking about just having the guy put the used tranny in the car and saying **** it. ill drop the car off tonight and borrow my moms car for the rest of the week. i just think its ****ed up how he thinks i have been driving his car for free when it took the mechanic over a month just to start working on my car.

repenttokyo
05-29-2007, 04:44 PM
you know what's losing that guy money? having a mechanic who starts jobs 30 days after he gets them.

markus
05-29-2007, 05:17 PM
ill have to talk to him again tommorow obviously. i also dont like the fact how the mechanic told the salesguy how he could have had it done 2 weeks ago. but it took weeks before the guy even started on the damn thing.

Evan
05-29-2007, 06:20 PM
you'll be able to settle it amicably... don't get into an argument with the guys.

you need your car back and fixed properly... they want to get some more money out of you.... keep things cool and it will work out in your favor

Tiger
05-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Work it out with the insurance, dealer and the mechanic. Get the mechanic on your side so the insurance pays for rental. As you said, give the rental car back to them.

Work it all out with all of them. I know it is a headache but you are earning free car rental in a sense.

markus
05-29-2007, 06:38 PM
i just dropped the car off washed, vaccumed and put a 1/4 tank of gas in, which was where it was at when i got it. looks like ill be driving my mom's civic for the time being.

attack eagle
05-30-2007, 01:14 AM
jesus, you got a free rental fora month and you are complaining? How spoiled.

When I bought my DSM and extended warranty off the dealer lot, it lasted 3k miles. (i knew it was going when I bought it, which Is why I got the extended warranty... I knew my 1k warranty would result in a 6k replacement engine ROI.)

To make a long story short, I was without my car for 4-5 months ( 3 months of multiple inspectors trying to find a reason to dismiss the claim, about 4-6 weeks of actual waiting on parts to be shipped in from Mitsu.), of which I got 1 week free rental, and a discounted price for another week.

the end.

Robin-535im
05-30-2007, 08:20 AM
Personally, I would have kept the rental until the car was 100% done, at least then you had some leverage to hurry the process along.

In the meantime, I'd visit the mechanic a lot, be nice, but be clear that you need your car back soon. You know what they say, the squeaky customer gets his car fixed first.