PDA

View Full Version : Cut into the subframe - advice?

e34.535i.sport
05-29-2007, 01:41 PM
You may have seen one of my many bushing threads, as its took an age for me to get this rear subframe bushing job done. Now im finally getting there i have a problem.

I got an old bush out, and started to insert the new one until it stopped with about 1cm to go. Tried for a week to get it in but no luck (i didn't use the freezer trick). Anyway, i decided to cut it out and start again with an electric saw. Got it out just now, and found i managed to cut into the subframe hoop a little.

There's a ridge that you can get your nail in, prob only about 1mm deep at the top and gets less deep as you go down the hoop. When you are about 3/4 the way down the hoop the ridge is gone (i never cut anything straight). Its in the place where the arm connects to the hoop so i assume this is a good thing at least, but im worried incase this is going to cause any problems in future? What should i do, or will it be ok?

Please put my mind at rest really worried now, what do you think?

P.S. I will be inserting the new bushing tomorrow once its had some time in the freezer.

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-29-2007, 01:48 PM
if it's just a nick, and you don't race or track the old beast, you'll be fine.

slupregime
05-29-2007, 03:10 PM
just file off any rough edges and go to town

e34.535i.sport
05-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks for putting mind at ease - and good idea on the filing. I'll do that before i put the other bush in and then i can finally drive my car again! Its been 9 days.

Now to change the fuel filter...

Zeuk in Oz
05-29-2007, 06:00 PM
If you are worried about it, get someone to put it up on a hoist and weld it. Shouldn't cost too much.

Ross
05-29-2007, 06:09 PM
X2

zhandax
05-30-2007, 06:12 AM
If it makes you feel any better, I had to sawzall out my front control arms on the 300E and I tried from underneath the first time. Since I could not see what I was doing from that position, I sawed about a half inch into the car subframe before I came out to see why this was taking so long. I just JB Welded (steel reinforced) the cut. No probs so far.

e34.535i.sport
05-31-2007, 04:15 PM
That does make me feel a little better... Thanks! (I dont think mine is worth welding... I hope!)