PDA

View Full Version : Rear Pitman Arm Replacement

70383roadrunner
05-29-2007, 11:28 AM
I noticed one of the bushings on the drivers side rear Pitman Arms is shot. These are the ones that look like dog bones. How diffficult of a job is this to change? I figure I would just change out the whole unit rather than just the bushing.

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-29-2007, 12:29 PM
they come as a complete part, bushings etc. Just need to replace two lock nuts.

Put the car up on stands, support the trailing arm with a jack and remove the nuts and bolts. You'll need to move the trailing arm up/down and even side to side to align the new dogbones on the bolts.

Russell
05-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Also search archives. There may still be pictures etc. Easy job as BMW jobs go.

Zeuk in Oz
05-29-2007, 05:27 PM
I noticed one of the bushings on the drivers side rear Pitman Arms is shot. These are the ones that look like dog bones. How diffficult of a job is this to change? I figure I would just change out the whole unit rather than just the bushing.
Easy as.

Get Lemfoerders from BMA would be my advice.

70383roadrunner
05-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Well my next question is. I just found the procedure in the Bentley manual and it states that when installing the bolts with the self locking nuts tighten the bolts to the final torque with the car on the ground and loaded. GREAT TRICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do you get under the car to tighten the bolts with the car off the jack stands? This doesn't look all that easy!!! Also I searched the archives for an hour this afternoon and could't come up with any procedure for replacement or pictures.

Zeuk in Oz
05-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Well my next question is. I just found the procedure in the Bentley manual and it states that when installing the bolts with the self locking nuts tighten the bolts to the final torque with the car on the ground and loaded. GREAT TRICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do you get under the car to tighten the bolts with the car off the jack stands? This doesn't look all that easy!!! Also I searched the archives for an hour this afternoon and could't come up with any procedure for replacement or pictures.
When I did mine, I interpreted Bentley as saying that as well - so I reversed mine onto stands on a hill, loaded the car & tightened them. Do a search if you want to read the discussion at the time.

Outcome : There is no need to tighten dog bones under load.

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-29-2007, 06:53 PM

reach under. I can do it and I am a 6 foot wookie.

Evan
05-29-2007, 06:55 PM
bob is correct... and jeff even torques control arms with the car on the ground (if he's had less than 24 beers)

70383roadrunner
05-29-2007, 07:08 PM
OK I get it! One last question. In the diagram I see 2 bolts,2 washers and 1 self locking nut. I would think there would be 2 lock nuts. Looks as though 1 bolt screws into the trailing arm assembly without a locking nut. Is that right? The quanity calls for 2 but I only see one in the diagram.
http://bmwfans.info/original/E34/Lim/535i-M30/USA/L/A/1989/05/mg-33/ill-33_0223/

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-29-2007, 07:16 PM
left & right.

the other side is held on with a bolt.

TIP: do the bolt side first, then move the trailing arm to line up the bolt/nut side to the dogbone.

shogun
05-29-2007, 07:24 PM
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/51276
But tighten finally with wheels on the gorund

70383roadrunner
05-30-2007, 07:21 AM
Thanks so much for the info and the link.

70383roadrunner
05-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks again guys. I spoke with Peter at BMA and although the Lemforder are not listed on the website they still carry them and I ordered both sides.