PDA

View Full Version : Chase threads in Al head during rebuild?

Robin-535im
05-28-2007, 09:31 PM
I've got a new, metric tap & die kit, chased out one of the threads in the M30 head for good measure, but it seemed to really cut a lot of material out. Correct thread pattern (triple checked) and the new threads look nice and sharp, but it seemed to take out a lot of material. I was pretty careful to follow the old threads so it's not like I cut a whole new path, thank goodness.

Getting new studs to go back in so those should be fine. Is there any reason to chase the threads in the head? Is it a bad idea to chase threads on an aluminum head?

Thanks!

winfred
05-28-2007, 10:18 PM
use a chaser instead of a tap, a tap cuts threads a chaser cleans and straightens threads, sears sells a pretty good set (looks like the exact same set i have cept mine says snap on, not sure who snap on sourced it from) that does fine thread sae, coarse sae and metric, inside and outside thread, i use the **** out of my set and it comes in handy to see just what the hell thread you need to be looking for when searching for bolts

Robin-535im
05-29-2007, 01:46 PM
use a chaser instead of a tap, a tap cuts threads a chaser cleans and straightens threads, sears sells a pretty good set (looks like the exact same set i have cept mine says snap on, not sure who snap on sourced it from) that does fine thread sae, coarse sae and metric, inside and outside thread, i use the **** out of my set and it comes in handy to see just what the hell thread you need to be looking for when searching for bolts
Thanks Winfred. I'll see if I can pick up such a set at sears.

Thus far my head rebuild has netted me:
C-clamp type valve spring compressor
Electric impact wrench
Dremel tool (Harbor freight knock-off)
Tap & die set
Vernier calipers
Engine hoist

Wonder when the wife will realize that this "rebuild" is really a "restock" of the tool shed...

Ross
05-29-2007, 06:12 PM
You can also cut a longitudinal groove in the proper size bolt as a poor man's thread chaser.