PDA

View Full Version : Need urgent help with fuel injector install!

J.DeFeo
05-28-2007, 11:09 AM
I've got the old injectors out, but the new ones won't go into the fuel rail. They slide easily into the cylinder but they won't budge when I try to push them into the rail itself. The o-rings are new and lubricated. They are the correct size. Any idea? M30B35, 535i.

EDIT: Nevermind! I'm retarded. Put the wrong size orings on each end of the inject. Flipped them around and now it fits perfectly.

winfred
05-28-2007, 11:11 AM
correct size o-rings and engine oil generally gets the job done

J.DeFeo
05-28-2007, 02:26 PM
The o-ring size was only half of the problem. The other half was that all the old o-rings got stuck in the fuel rail and I didn't notice they were missing from the old injectors!

The install went smoothly otherwise, and now my car runs better than it ever has. Here's a short list of problems that were solved today by installing new injectors and cleaning the ICV:

1.) Car starts immediately with no hesitation or stalling.
2.) Idle is considerably smoother. Much more quiet, no rumbling, hiccups, or misfires.
3.) The car now idles at the proper RPMs (prior to this it would intermittantly idle at 1300-1500 RPMs).

If you have an M30 with any of those problem, check your injectors and ICV! I got used injectors from http://www.theeurodepot.com. $60 for a full set; the ones I got work perfectly. Just a bit of brake cleaner sprayed into the metal part of the ICV got it looking like new.

e34.535i.sport
05-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Its good when things go smoothly.

Just wanted to know how hard is it to change the injectors and the time it takes? My car cranks for a bit before it starts and its really annoying! Also has a rough idle.

Thanks.

J.DeFeo
05-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Its good when things go smoothly.

Just wanted to know how hard is it to change the injectors and the time it takes? My car cranks for a bit before it starts and its really annoying! Also has a rough idle.

Thanks.

Not going to lie, it's a pain in the ass. Took me about 5 hours. You have to remove all kinds of sensors to get the cover off of the plastic wire hardness above the fuel rail. To make things easier, disconnect the two sensors below and slightly in front of the starter solenoid. One of them is the O2 sensor, not sure what the other one is. That gives enough slack to move the plastic case out of the way. Pry the connectors off of the injectors with a crowbar. Make sure you put the right o-rings on the right ends of the injector. Make sure they all come out too. You will hate Bosch connectors by the end of the day. You don't have to remove the AFM, instead remove the ICV and the air filter box to get all of the rubber intake piping off..

Also, when you're done, double and triple check that all of the sensors you unplugged are firmly re-attached. I didn't push the connector for the TPS all the way back in and it scared me when my car wouldn't engine brake and the RPMs dropped bizzarely during an upshift.

Jon K
05-28-2007, 05:10 PM
For what it is worth if anyone ever installs injectors and needs o-rings but can't wait for shipping, Ford Motorsport injector o-rings fit - I used a set from a '04 Mustang cobra.

e34.535i.sport
05-31-2007, 04:18 PM
Sounds tricky. A 3 hour bushing job took me over a week... Prob best to wait to do this job when im more [I]experienced[I]LOL!