PDA

View Full Version : How to remove the trunk lining?

Kamil
05-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Hello,
I'm installing the my salellite radio (pics soon), and I need to run the antenna wire to the trunk. I do not have a folding rear seat or a pass-thru, and I need to run the wire somehow, so really quickly...

1) How to remove the trunk lining*
2) How to run the antenna wire to the trunk

* I see the clips/fasteners, but how do I remove them w/o braking them?

Thanks in advance,
-Kamil

RobPatt
05-07-2004, 08:19 PM
- You could run the antenna along the floor on the left, opposite the side of the power cable from the trunk battery.... i think the stock antenna runs along the left "A" pillar to the roof, to the rear glass...

- Beneath the pass through spot I think there's a hole w/grommet you could run the wire through...(though don't know if that's stock or a mod I have)

- Most trunk fasteners on my car are 1/4 or 1/2 turn, or plastic screw out type... haven't done the inside of the trunk lid though...

I'm curious, are you getting XM or Delphi? Why? Good luck - Rob.

Kamil
05-07-2004, 09:25 PM
I'm curious, are you getting XM or Delphi? Why? Good luck - Rob.

Rob,
Thanks, I'll be running the antenna wire along the passanger side doors, it's just problems w/ accessing the trunk that I have. No pass-thru on my car.

As far as the satellite radio, I got the Sirius w/ a Clarion receiver ($100) and home and car kits ($50 each, minus $50 mail-in rebate.
Why Sirius?
A) They have a feed over the internet, so that I can listen to the radio at work. I work in a concrete/steel NYC high-raise, my cube is away from the windows, and I bearly get any AM/FM or even cell phone reception.
B) I liked the Clarion receiver, right now it is the smallest of receivers that work both at home and in the car. I did not want to pay additional subscription fee for second home reciver.

This is the receiver I got:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iCI0HjeYJu7/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=18&g=176950&I=020SIRPNP&o=p&a=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=

The illumination on it matches the 535 almost exactly. :)

-Kamil

andyman32
05-08-2004, 07:24 AM
Kamil, if you want to be very inconspicuous about it, you'll probably need to punch a small hole (just a corner) out of the skibag hole.

You can then remove your back seat bench, run the wire under the back seat, up behind the armrest, then just fish it through that hole.

On the other side (on the back of the seats, in the trunk), there's a solid piece of carpeting. You'll have to remove that. The fasteners holding it on are grey plastic, and they are SCREWS, not quick fasteners (that took me longer than I care to admit to figure out). Unscrew those fasteners and the carpeting will just come off. You will see your wire right in front of you there. From there you can just run the wire wherever you need to take it under the carpeting.

As for the lining, all you do is turn the quick-fasteners 1/4 turn, then pull the lining off. They're quick-fasteners... ^ v = locked, < > = open.

I hope this is clear...

Kamil
05-08-2004, 08:35 AM
Well, I went to further investigate as I was having my fresh cup of java. :D
I fasteners for the back of the trunk lining were big plastic screws that had to be turned-out like, well, screws. The ones w/ the arrows are only on the lining of the lid.
Since my car, again, does not have the pass-thru (a.k.a. ske sack (I wish it did), I will run the antenna wire along old cell phone antenna wire.

Thanks... off to work. :)
-Kamill