PDA

View Full Version : on board computer swap?

johnnyturbo2002
05-27-2007, 11:41 AM
anyone ever tried to swap a basic on board computer with a fancy one. My 540 has the works and my 520 is plain jane. It sounds like it should be straight across, but does anyone ever know.
Any one have an extra (fancy)one they want to sell. ( better yet give?):D

shogun
05-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Either BC III or BC IV, that is all you can install/use.
I don't know what you mean with fancy one. Any example?

LunatiC
05-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Here in Australia, breakers are asking $165 AU for a busted up OBC ("fancy one" as you put it). I got one from eBay in the UK and with shipping as well it cost me $65 AU.

It is almost plug and play, assuming that you have the digital clock in your 520i, and not the analog one. The analog one is more stuffing around.

I have done this swap myself (I had a digital clock/temp display), the thing is that the cage that holds the clock, radio and temperature controls, the section where the OBC will be going in won't fit, since it was made for the digital clock, which is shorter in terms of depth than it is for the OBC. You will either need to cut/file the back out or buy a new cage suitable for the OBC. I filed mine (don't have a Dremel), and although it took some time and the use of a vacuum hose, it works fine.

The plug that you will find at the back of the unit is plug and play, so just yank it out, stick it in the OBC, and then push the OBC back into the cage as far as it goes.

There are heaps more detailed instructions (and instructions for those who want to do a swap from an analog clock, which is harder and more complicated) at http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/OBC.htm

By the way, if your clock has never been removed before, be ready to break your thumb trying. The lever described in the BMWE34.net instructions is a bit of a bitch to push.