PDA

View Full Version : Its official - I am a college graduate

Jon K
05-26-2007, 01:39 AM
Well I graduated a week ago actually but between running around, working on cars, and etc., I forgot to realize what just happened! Last saturday was my graduation from college -- I now have a bachellors of science for Management of Information Systems. No job lined up, but sort of not in any rush either. The sooner I get a job, the sooner my spending habits get craaaazy.

So yeah, I am done. Thanks for everyones help through the past few years!

Jon

E34 530
05-26-2007, 01:54 AM
Three years left plus masters :(

Congratulations Jon

BigKriss
05-26-2007, 04:10 AM
Congratulations!!!!! What did you learn from your degree and what job do you hope to get from it? Edit: and how much did the course cost you in fees?

johnnyturbo2002
05-26-2007, 06:06 AM
Well done, now you just need to get another degree, and a masters and then go for the underpaid teaching job! oh wait, that was me...sorry just projecting :-)
Best of luck!

ThoreauHD
05-26-2007, 07:09 AM
Congratulations Jon. Your degree will help you quite a bit. I started in IT with a biology/chemistry degree. Of course IT degrees didn't exist when I was your age, but that's another matter..

gale
05-26-2007, 07:10 AM
Congratulations! That's one of life's major milestones. It took me 7 years to finish a 4 year degree, after Nixon pulled the troups out of Viet Nam to get re-elected, my sense of urgency faded -- gee, never thought I'd miss Nixon ;) Yes, I am older than dirt.

Fetch
05-26-2007, 08:10 AM
I've got 2 years left, congrats Jon

Robin-535im
05-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Good work Jon. That's sounds like a very flexible degree given the ubiquity of computer systems. Take your time finding a job if you can - I hear that in general it takes a month per $10k of salary to find a job.

Jon K
05-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks all!

I hope to land some sort of network analyst/adminstrator job eventually -- doing the whole application/interview thing.

Kriss - its a 4 year program. 1 year at drexel university, 3 years at desales university, so with all hidden fees and tuition, probably a hair over $120,000 lol.

grave77
05-26-2007, 09:53 AM
congratulations Jon, but here comes the pain !! you will realize that all the past years were very easy compared with finding your self a job and especially if you have previous experience that no one believes that u have. and simply you have to work ur ass few years to prove it ... best wishes dude ... be patient and don't make the cash your target as much as the knowledge you will gain from the job you will work in.

cheers

misfortune
05-26-2007, 03:44 PM
congratulations Jon, but here comes the pain !! you will realize that all the past years were very easy compared with finding your self a job and especially if you have previous experience that no one believes that u have. and simply you have to work ur ass few years to prove it ... best wishes dude ... be patient and don't make the cash your target as much as the knowledge you will gain from the job you will work in.

cheers

lol

Thats only if you live the good life where you goto school for a few hours a day, party and spend someone else's money.

If you are holding down two jobs, getting a scientific degree, then you look forward to working a 9-5 and not having homework projects papers due.

wyze
05-27-2007, 03:54 AM
hey congrats

well i'm an official college dropout, lol

but at least i had a great job offer to entice me to drop out

mattyb
05-27-2007, 04:48 AM
well done mate!!!

BigKriss
05-27-2007, 05:37 AM
How do you guys in the USA pay usd$120k for a degree. Are there student loans that you can get. Is graduate study generally more expensive?

Jon K
05-27-2007, 08:44 AM
How do you guys in the USA pay usd$120k for a degree. Are there student loans that you can get. Is graduate study generally more expensive?

There are loans - parents with money don't hurt either. Post high school education here is ridiculously expensive. My step brother went to a $40k/year 4 year school, then went on to do his PhD at U-penn. God knows how much he was under :(

But, yeah that's what ya gotta do sometimes I suppose.

BigKriss
05-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Seems very expensive compared to over here. Maybe 3 - 4 times as expensive. Were you in a fraternity?

There are loans - parents with money don't hurt either. Post high school education here is ridiculously expensive. My step brother went to a $40k/year 4 year school, then went on to do his PhD at U-penn. God knows how much he was under :(

Jon K
05-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Seems very expensive compared to over here. Maybe 3 - 4 times as expensive. Were you in a fraternity?

No fraternities for me.

grave77
05-27-2007, 01:34 PM
well ... for me I started electronics when I was in the 5th grade and grew up with it, when I graduated I already had minimum 10 years experience as I started my R&D when I was in high school .... BUT ...it was all ******** to all employers cuz I had to prove it.

still I'm happy that I did have that school life ... real life does make u know more than what school teaches u in silly home works

E34 530
05-27-2007, 03:42 PM

lol @ 120k. Three years of my school is $120,00, then you have to add the fourth year (another 40k) and then masters on top of that is $50,000 for a one year program. So when all is said and done, my college career will equal about $210,000, and that's without all the little ******** hidden expenses that like to get thrown in, not even including books, etc. How do people do it? Well, having parents with some cash is quite nice, but I'm going to have to help them out, so I'm going to be broke until I'm 40 years old :p.

E34 530
05-27-2007, 03:44 PM

wow, didn't even get to your post before I wrote my reply, but your step-brother seems to be in the same boat I am.

rob101
05-27-2007, 05:42 PM
lol @ 120k. Three years of my school is $120,00, then you have to add the fourth year (another 40k) and then masters on top of that is $50,000 for a one year program. So when all is said and done, my college career will equal about $210,000, and that's without all the little ******** hidden expenses that like to get thrown in, not even including books, etc. How do people do it? Well, having parents with some cash is quite nice, but I'm going to have to help them out, so I'm going to be broke until I'm 40 years old :p.
whaaaaaaaaa? holy crappolla thats alot of money, 4.5 years of Bachelor of Engineering was about $25 000 AU or 18k US.
Wow I can't believe that!

Hal
05-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Good luck with your job search. In many ways getting situated in the right job can be more valuable than much of your recent education. Try to find a job where you can learn all the real-world stuff that they may have neglected to include in the classroom.

Just for perspective. In the early 1970's in the US the cost of the most expensive private universities was about US$3k/year (tuition and room&board). Then the engineering jobs available to the best 4-year university graduates were paying about $20k/year, almost a 7:1 ratio.

Now, with the top private universities in the US close to US$45k/year, the jobs available to a recent graduate I don't believe will pay more than 1.5x or perhaps 2x one year's tuition.

We call that progress.

Hal

1994 530iT 168,000mi Nikasil Powered
1999 528iT 100,000mi non-Nikasil powered

yy101
05-27-2007, 06:43 PM
whaaaaaaaaa? holy crappolla thats alot of money, 4.5 years of Bachelor of Engineering was about $25 000 AU or 18k US.
Wow I can't believe that!

Believe it rob, we are already heading down the same path. Melbourne Uni already charge something around the 80k mark for a medical and/or law degree with the 30% hike.

Start saving 80k+ for the college fund, for each kid you want to send to uni.

Zeuk in Oz
05-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Good on you Jon.

All you need to realize is that your real learning starts now ! ;)

nizmainiac
05-27-2007, 06:52 PM
congrats jon

rob101
05-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Believe it rob, we are already heading down the same path. Melbourne Uni already charge something around the 80k mark for a medical and/or law degree with the 30% hike.

Start saving 80k+ for the college fund, for each kid you want to send to uni.
nah i'll just start teaching them young so they can get scholarships.

grave77
05-28-2007, 02:33 AM
it's better you get this 210K as a capital and make some good business ... that's why scholarship makes a difference !!