PDA

View Full Version : Im taking a break from the bushing, is it safe...

e34.535i.sport
05-24-2007, 05:02 PM
I cant get this bushing in all the way - its not happening. Ive tried EVERYTHING - twice. Its just sticking out the bottom about 1/2".

I decided to take the car of the stand as i think it was twisting the frame (its been on since sunday when i started the bushing job) and is making the central locking make a funny sound when locking the car. I reattached the plate that has the three nuts in (two small and one big one that goes through the bushing), but i was wandering if this is safe to drive? I was kind of hoping that a couple of speed bumps might pop the bushing into the housing for me? Im guessing it'll do that or rip it out?

The bushing housing feels different to the other side (obviously) - in that at the top of the 'ok' side there is a gap between the housing and the chassis with the two rubber parts protruding out the top to soften blows. The side i have worked on just has the car and the subframe housing resting on each other, is it ok to drive with it like this? My car's been off the road for 5 days and i havent even changed one bushing fully yet. Im scared to attempt the other side with the luck ive been having.

I know i've put a few threads in over this but im really stuck here, its become a big problem. Its like im working two jobs - as soon as i come home from work at 6pm, im under the car until 10pm when it goes dark to try and get it back on the road. The most annoying thing is, its making me love my car less and less - and its the car i dreamt of owning for such a long time.

Just to reiterate what ive tried so far to get it in:

Jacked it in
Hot water as lube and jack
Heat gun and jack
WD40 and jack
Hammer and jack
Lump hammer
Nut and bolt through (killed the thread)
3-in-1 oil and jack.

My worry is i can see myself having to cut this bushing out and putting another in - which will take me a lot of time if similar to last time, and cost more ££. Worst case scenario here of course.

Anyone had this kind of trouble before? Any suggestions welcome - What should i do?

Barney Paull-Edwards
05-24-2007, 05:42 PM
go to hardware store and buy can of CO2 for freezing pipes to fix domestic leaks,heat subframe and freeze bush,put plate on top and hi-tensile bolt through wind like hell.

Ross
05-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Drive the car, it may work itself in.
Hope this hasn't ruined your DIY days. What is a lump hammer?
Edit: Nevermind, your British I see. We in the states call it a big ****ing hammer. You know, us colonials are a bit crude.

Robin-535im
05-24-2007, 07:04 PM
go to hardware store and buy can of CO2 for freezing pipes to fix domestic leaks,heat subframe and freeze bush,put plate on top and hi-tensile bolt through wind like hell.
OT - they have cans to freeze the pipes so you can work on them? That's a great idea. I haven't heard of that but I like it.

On Topic - If it's sticking out the bottom, driving won't seat it. The subframe probably pushes up on the car if anything, but most of the load is taken by the strut. That subframe mounting point doesn't support axial loads as a primary function, mostly it positions the frame to the car in a stable but forgiving way.

The 19mm or 22mm nut that holds the "3-bolt plate" onto the bottom doesn't contact the bushing when properly installed, hence the market for Bruno's subframe bushings that fill that gap. That plate probably will apply much less force than your jack did. Can you take it to a shop and pay them a six-pack of beer to just press it in using the right tool? Probably okay to drive a little but I wouldn't want to go to far, and check it out often to make sure you're not punching a hole in the bottom of the car.

At wits end I would find a very solid mount to sit the sticking-out part of the bushing on, leave all the tires on in case it falls off, and lower the weight of the car onto that very solid mount, pushing up on the bushing. Then try heating the sleeve with a torch... (cold hoops get smaller in diameter, warm ones open up). Have water ready! If it melts the bushing, hey, now that one's out of the way and you can start over. :)

Good luck!! Don't let the bushing win!! Keep going until you press it's butt into submission!!

indierthanthou
05-24-2007, 07:21 PM
OT - they have cans to freeze the pipes so you can work on them? That's a great idea. I haven't heard of that but I like it.

yeah, I used to be a plumber's apprentice, I never actually used it, but I have seen it before. it is actually pretty neat as long as it keeps the pipes frozen

e34.535i.sport
05-25-2007, 05:46 PM
for the morale boost!!!! Helped a lot, i was getting a downhearted. :( Ive put so much effort into this thing, with nothing to show for it yet. Im hoping i feel an improvement when i get to drive with the new ones in! Think im gonna use some washing up liquid on the other one - lesser of two evils an all that.

That pipe freezing stuff sounds like the way forward, gonna give that a go tomorrow. Im hoping its readily available at hardware stores? I tried just heating the housing up tonight and using the jack under the bushing - no progress.

I feel like flipping the car over and taking a full on sledge hammer to the bushing now (it'd go in then im sure!), but dont worry - i wont give up till its in! :D

Thanks guys.

e34.535i.sport
05-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Went to the hardware store today, got some extra strong galvanised bolts to try and tighten the bush in tomorrow. Also got the freeze in a can, but need to know a couple of things if you've used it before-

1. How much should i use and where to spray on the bushing (its mostly in the subframe hoop now)?

2. Should i freeze the bush and wait a few mins then heat the subframe, or heat first then spray the freeze on the bush?

Wish me luck...

Barney Paull-Edwards
05-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Heat sub-frame first, then freeze bush,done it loads of times on Jaguar bushes and it might take two goes but the bush will fall in,just be careful you stop it from going too far, then you really would be up **** creek!

e34.535i.sport
05-27-2007, 12:21 AM
Heat sub-frame first, then freeze bush,done it loads of times on Jaguar bushes and it might take two goes but the bush will fall in,just be careful you stop it from going too far, then you really would be up **** creek!

Just one more question; How do you mean too far, as the bmw bushes have a lip on the bottom preventing them going in? Thanks again.

slupregime
05-27-2007, 01:35 PM
i dont know why that last little bit is such a headache ...i have done over 50 of these and never had a problem putting them in as long as the bushing is froze over night and you bring it out right b-4 you put it in and use a cut down 4x4 with a hole in the center of it for the bolt when it comes thru the bushing ...then take a long bar and pry down on the top of the arm and housing when the bushing goes the last little bit then done ...no co2 in a can no heating ...

e34.535i.sport
05-27-2007, 02:17 PM
i dont know why that last little bit is such a headache ...i have done over 50 of these and never had a problem putting them in as long as the bushing is froze over night and you bring it out right b-4 you put it in and use a cut down 4x4 with a hole in the center of it for the bolt when it comes thru the bushing ...then take a long bar and pry down on the top of the arm and housing when the bushing goes the last little bit then done ...no co2 in a can no heating ...

wishing i done it for this one now. Do you take the wheel off when you do this as there isn't much space in there? Gonna give it my best shot tomorrow, if it doesn't go im gonna have to cut it out an start again... Ive had enough.

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll give anything a go now.

slupregime
05-27-2007, 07:18 PM
wheel off car on jackstands right in front of the metal bracket that you take off for the bushing...if you jack cant go high enough put some wood blocks as shims to get it higher

genphreak
05-28-2007, 07:16 AM
Remove the bush- put it in the bottom of a freezer for 24 hours. Heat the subframe well-not red hot!!, then lube the bush with silicone spray. jam it in as fast as you can w your special bolts until it is right in there. Don't let it heat up- be prepared with everything to get it in FAST as it will, its rubber. :) Best of luck OTJ, Nick

e34.535i.sport
05-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Remove the bush- put it in the bottom of a freezer for 24 hours. Heat the subframe well-not red hot!!, then lube the bush with silicone spray. jam it in as fast as you can w your special bolts until it is right in there. Don't let it heat up- be prepared with everything to get it in FAST as it will, its rubber. :) Best of luck OTJ, Nick

I so wish i could do that but the bush is in there real good, not wanting to move either way. Been out there for another 4hrs today with the heat gun and freeze spray with no joy. Feel like im between a rock and a hard place here.

Time to stop whining about it and cut it out, buy a new one - lube it this time (along with the freezer trick) and throw that in.

Without this forum i woulda went crazy by now!!! Many thanks to everyone, for keeping me sane.

e34.535i.sport
05-28-2007, 12:45 PM
:D

I decided to bolt the troublesome bushing up and move to the other side to remove the drivers side old bushing. It took 10 minutes!!!!! Bearing in mind that the passanger side took 14hrs continuous labour to remove, i think this is an improvement! :) It goes without saying im in a much better mood!

Now i have the sparkly new bush in the freezer ready for insertion tomorrow. My plan is to get it out of the freezer, lube it with a bit of washing up liquid (i know some say this has -ve effects but i need to get back on the road), then put the jack underneath it and crank it up. Is this the right procedure???

*My main concern is that there are two small rubber parts at the top of the bush that need to protrude above the subframe hoop about 1cm (i'll call them protrusions!). When you jack up under the bush the hoop hits the car and it makes me wonder - how can the two rubber protrusions move up past the hoop if the hoop is against the car??? (My guess is they bend in and then when you release the jack they stand up straight again??)

My car DIY faith has been renewed today!