PDA

View Full Version : worst neglect you've seen ?

Ross
05-24-2007, 04:15 PM
A recent suspension thread here (GeneNC) reminds me of a Chevy van I once serviced.
The tie rod studs faced down in the steering arm on this vehicle, when I grabbed one to check it it came off in my hand leaving the ball and stud in the steering arm. The only thing previously keeping it there was gravity.
Also saw a brake rotor worn clean through to the cooling fins, the pad was completely gone, the piston had finally come nearly completely out of the bore. The driver said it stopped fine but noisy(I'll bet) until it completely failed.
A Buick V-6 that I got to repair had blown a head gasket but was still being used with water added as needed until it finally spun a bearing. The oil pan was full to the top with what could have passed for chocolate pudding if it were not for the smell.
An old co-worker's car once developed an oil leak when the spin on oil filter RUSTED OUT! The car was quite old and it's owner had never changed the oil, just added. I don't recall if he changed it when the filter was relaced but the car, a Pontiac kept right on going for years after.
I know the pros here have some horror stories to tell, let's have 'em.

markus
05-24-2007, 04:27 PM
wow thats bad

Vanguard
05-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Those are bad!

gtopaul
05-24-2007, 06:24 PM
http://members.aol.com/paul3130/private/engine002.jpg

Paul L

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-24-2007, 07:25 PM
all four rotors worn so thin they just snaped off the hub and when I took them off they were like thin metal halos.

winfred
05-24-2007, 09:00 PM
i don't feel like typing that much