PDA

View Full Version : Radiators - Nissens or Behr?

Jeff N.
05-24-2007, 12:40 AM
Nissens seem to be cheaper.

Bill R - you out there? You used to have a place you recommended buying from.

Checked the records, put a radiator into the car in 98. Had this thing a while now, eh??

Jeff

shogun
05-24-2007, 01:04 AM
a lot to read if you just type in the search Behr Nissens.
But probably this link tells you all
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1159&highlight=behr+nissens
or order directly here, what Bill R recommended
http://www.radiators.com/

LunatiC
05-24-2007, 02:12 AM
I got my Behr replacement from BMA. I haven't used a Nissens, but Patrick informed me that the Behr is basically OEM anyway.

It has only been about a month since installation, everything good here. Nissens are cheaper, but not by much. Not sure where Behrs are made (Germany?) but I'm quite sure Nissens are Danish-made.

zmuff
05-24-2007, 04:18 AM
I put in a Nissens about two years ago in my 535im. Build quality looked very good, nice reinforcements around the necks, fit perfectly. No issues as yet (looking for wood to knock on).

Evan
05-24-2007, 04:21 AM
I installed a NIssens about a year ago and I'm very happy with the quality.

The install is also very simple...

shogun
05-24-2007, 04:49 AM
Not sure where Behrs are made (Germany?) but I'm quite sure Nissens are Danish-made.

Behr=Germany
Nissens=Denmark and Taiwan

Read suppliers policy:
NEW SUPPLIERS
To be considered as a supplier to Nissens the customer must at least have an ISO9001 certificate. Furthermore, the company must be able to deliver materials at the same quality at lower costs or be able to offer other advantages to Nissens
http://www.nissens.dk/uk/index.htm

Well, that is nowadays worldwide sourcing. As long as their quality control is good, no problem.

Just have in front of me Bosch distributors and -rotors, they are not made in Germany, but in Spain.
And washwater pumps from JLC Germany, made in China.
All bought from Autohaus Arizona.
And the Bosch rotor says on th Bosch packing: made in Spain, Registered trade mark and quality control by Robert Bosch....
So also made by another subsupplier.
Only the 7 thermostats from Behr are made by Behr in Germany, actually Behr Thermot-tronik
www.btt.behrgroup.com

Dave M
05-24-2007, 05:03 AM
Nissens in since 2003, no issues. I think it was $175 at the time from bma.

winfred
05-24-2007, 07:27 AM
flip a coin, csf is the one to stay away from

DanDombrowski
05-24-2007, 07:47 AM
Same here, New nissens in 03 and mine was $150 from BMA (how did you get charged 175?)

Dave M
05-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Same here, New nissens in 03 and mine was $150 from BMA (how did you get charged 175?)

Dunno. Pretty sure that was the price. Maybe they jacked it up after you got yours or I'm thinking in Canadian funds. Just glad its still working. Better than the $500+ dealer price.

Dave

Vanguard
05-24-2007, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't use radiator.com if it was me. I put one in my wife's Grand Cherokee about a year and half ago, supposed to be lifetime warranty. The radiator was of indonesian manufacture and failed two weeks ago. I picked up the finest chinese replacement NAPA had to offer and installed. Radiator.com wouldn't honor the lifetime warranty without the receipt. I can't find it since we moved, but have held onto the radiator in case I do.

Tiger
05-24-2007, 05:21 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RADIATOR-bmw-535I-535-I-89-93-92-91-90-1989-1993-1992_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33602QQihZ014QQite mZ330121494141QQrdZ1

Carparts sells Modine Brand radiator... it is lifetime warranty,

http://www.transpro.com/prod_radiators_auto.htm

Funny how their website carparts.com list them for $300+... and on ebay is like 1/3 of the price... I'd buy this and save money.

I have Nissen in my car since 2001... zero problem.

Zeuk in Oz
05-24-2007, 06:09 PM
Nissens seem to be cheaper.

Bill R - you out there? You used to have a place you recommended buying from.

Checked the records, put a radiator into the car in 98. Had this thing a while now, eh??

Jeff
I went through the same dilemma 18 months ago.

Following Shogun's threads I perceived a slight advantage in the modification at the top radiator hose attachment on the Nissens compared with the Behr.

I bought a Danish Nissens from BMA and had it shipped to Oz and still paid only 2/3rds the price of anything in Oz.

That was 35,000 km ago and so far so good, touch wood.

Bill R.
05-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Jeff, Here is a link to 1-800 radiator, whic (http://www.radiator.com/wholesale.php)h is who i use all the time.
I've never had a warranty problem with them. Typically its luck of the draw as to which radiator you'll get from them, sometimes behr,sometimes nissen, sometimes valeo or any number of chinese or taiwanese manufacturers. Either way i haven't had any problems and they are always the cheapest price, Usually they have a local warehouse in your city also.

I wouldn't use radiator.com if it was me. I put one in my wife's Grand Cherokee about a year and half ago, supposed to be lifetime warranty. The radiator was of indonesian manufacture and failed two weeks ago. I picked up the finest chinese replacement NAPA had to offer and installed. Radiator.com wouldn't honor the lifetime warranty without the receipt. I can't find it since we moved, but have held onto the radiator in case I do.

Tiger
05-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Interesting... upper control arms with bushing are only $26 a piece... Door handle cover $3.... Window regulator with motor $45... Side light on bumper $5.... Parking brake $9... geez! Put in your car info and it will spit out a list of parts they have at discount on ebay...

Shankster
05-24-2007, 09:36 PM
I got one from radiator-ac-import on ebay. advertised as an oem radiator. Received it and it says Behr and has the bmw logo on it. 158 incl shipping. Either its a great knockoff of the original or fell off a truck somewhere.

Tiger
05-24-2007, 10:27 PM
That's a great deal... ya know... I love internet! It really brings the market down to wholesale cost for us. Penny saved is a penny earned is really true on internet.

dt8068
05-24-2007, 10:52 PM
I had a Behr radiator for a year and a half until the necked snapped right off, so I bought a Nissens from autohaus az b/c it's cheaper. The neck on the Nissens seems beefier than the Behr, so we'll see.

Jeff N.
05-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Wasn't sure if that was really how you liked. Their dumb website is so cheesy. Start up their chat window and don't type a thing. Watch what happens - same dialog if you do type something.

Jeff, Here is a link to 1-800 radiator, whic (http://www.radiator.com/wholesale.php)h is who i use all the time.
I've never had a warranty problem with them. Typically its luck of the draw as to which radiator you'll get from them, sometimes behr,sometimes nissen, sometimes valeo or any number of chinese or taiwanese manufacturers. Either way i haven't had any problems and they are always the cheapest price, Usually they have a local warehouse in your city also.

Bill R.
05-24-2007, 11:27 PM
use the website, i call their local number. After you order one from then on the phone you'll find out who the local dist. for them is. Then you just ask that local dist for a number or card for future references and skip the goofy website. They mail you discount coupons every couple of months too.

Wasn't sure if that was really how you liked. Their dumb website is so cheesy. Start up their chat window and don't type a thing. Watch what happens - same dialog if you do type something.

Jeff N.
05-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Their 10% off coupon hit my mailbox this AM, figured I give the business to Pat as that put the price close to everyone else with a brand I knew.

use the website, i call their local number. After you order one from then on the phone you'll find out who the local dist. for them is. Then you just ask that local dist for a number or card for future references and skip the goofy website. They mail you discount coupons every couple of months too.

Vanguard
06-15-2007, 10:31 PM
After reading Bill R's post, I decided to give radiator.com another change. Good pricing on a Nissen $235 and they delivered it to work the same afternoon. I'll be changing out my leaking original radiator this weekend. I need to pick up some coolant tomorrow.

After rereading this thread I looked again at the radiator I'd originally put in my wife's grand cherokee. It was a CSF. Just the brand winifred recommended avoiding. :(