PDA

View Full Version : Screwed up pulling idler arm. Need tips or alternate proc.

Gene in NC
05-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Screwed up pulling idler arm. Need tips or alternate proc.

Used AZ rental puller. Uncertain whether"jaws" too wide, **** on puller too narrow on one side or I did something wrong to cock the puller off center.

However, puller cocked to one side and "scraped/cut" off much of tit on one side of the idler. No way for a second shot with this puller. Do I need a better puller or is there another way.

I know about putting pressure/prying on the joint and using two hammers to slightly deform and the thing pops off. Prob is not much room w/o a lift, only two hands, and there is small margin with large cost for hitting the boot on the drag link. ball joint.

If I can't get the idler off how the heck could I ever get the pitman arm off?

Dave M
05-22-2007, 07:54 PM
My puller slipped off as well. I usually use a set of very good pullers I borrow from Canadian Tire (they lend specialized auto tools) for such jobs, but I tried my own 'generic' puller and had to improvise.

1) Even without the tit, you may be able to get more puller hooked on. I ground the ends of my puller down (originally for thrust arms) in order to make em 'grabbier' ;).

2)I know exactly what you mean by tilting and slipping off. If your using one of those two or three arm generic pullers, then the arms are able to spread outward and slip off. I use a 6 or 8" C- clamp to hold the arms on, then popped it off.

If this doesn't work, get a better puller (there are many different shapes which will work better than the generic). Or, maybe someone here has another non-puller method.

Dave

Dave M
05-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Not sure what engine you have (profile ;)), hopefully a C-clamp will fit in there.

Phatty5BMW
05-22-2007, 07:59 PM
I use an air hammer with a fork for all my suspension needs. You just can't get to carried away and you have to be careful :)

Pat

632 Regal
05-22-2007, 08:03 PM
acetaline torch would be your friend, heat the thing then pull it, but you will need a better puller.

Kibokojoe
05-22-2007, 08:39 PM
I am assuming your not going to replace the idler arm? Heat and a forked air hammer is the way to fly. If your going to reuse the arm you need to stay away from Harbor Freight pullers and spend a little money on a good set of pullers.

Gene in NC
05-23-2007, 06:18 AM
What is source for a proper puller for this job?

Dave M
05-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Don't know of a source, but what you want is a small puller (~4" in length) with solid arms and 'teeth' long enough to get right in there.

...... |----------------------|
...... |
|......|
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[>
|......|
...... |

:D

Gene in NC
05-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Clever graphic, Dave M. That's the type that I had. A hair too wide and no way to hit the taper on the ball joint to jar it loose after moderate pressure applied.