PDA

View Full Version : 535im failled emissions. Any quick advice before I go through the archives.

Bimmer Nut Ed
05-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Wifey took the 1990 535im to get tested today, and it's hydrocarbons were high. The drive to the test center from her office was only 15 minutes away though, so I'm thinking that may be part of the issue. Next time I'll blow it out good on a trip down from my house to the emissions center on the expy way!

What about running additives, good, bad or indifferent?

Bill R.
05-07-2004, 01:34 PM
idle that if failed or cruise or both?

Wifey took the 1990 535im to get tested today, and it's hydrocarbons were high. The drive to the test center from her office was only 15 minutes away though, so I'm thinking that may be part of the issue. Next time I'll blow it out good on a trip down from my house to the emissions center on the expy way!

What about running additives, good, bad or indifferent?

Bimmer Nut Ed
05-07-2004, 01:38 PM
I'm checking on that right now. I'll see if wifey knows any more!

Bill R.
05-07-2004, 01:41 PM
I'm checking on that right now. I'll see if wifey knows any more!

BigD
05-07-2004, 01:46 PM
I know this doesn't help you but I just buy mine... Usually only cost about 2x what the actual test is and I don't have to worry about any BS.

Bimmer Nut Ed
05-07-2004, 01:55 PM
BigD, hmm, what are you talking about? I don't understand. It must be different here.

Here we don't pay for the testing, and can't buy anything that I know about? Here, is in Illinois.

Bill R., No I did not get the TIS working yet. Did I miss a message?

Thanks all.

Bill R.
05-07-2004, 02:03 PM
bribe or buying your way through emissions... Here in AZ we pay a fee for the emissions test and then get one free retest, if you still fail you pay again and get one additional free, so you get 2 shots at it each time you pay... They have signs posted here about the penalty if you try to bribe the testers to pass you.. I gather a lot of it has gone on in the past for them to post signs now...

BigD, hmm, what are you talking about? I don't understand. It must be different here.

Here we don't pay for the testing, and can't buy anything that I know about? Here, is in Illinois.

Thanks all.

Bimmer Nut Ed
05-07-2004, 02:23 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/~e34/scan_2.jpg

AllanS
05-07-2004, 02:41 PM
That's such crap that cars 10 years and older are required to pass this stuff. Luckily my area hasn't gone over to the sniff/dyno tests yet- still "visual" here, which means do whatever you want as long as you know the shop well enough.

Anton CH.
05-07-2004, 02:52 PM
This link may help:

http://www.firstfives.org/faq/smog/smog_faq.html

Bill R.
05-07-2004, 03:25 PM
it was fully warmed up with the least amount of idle time possible and leave it running right up until the last possible moment when waiting in line..
Around the 150 second point it got real clean when it was on the higher speed part of the test... and 2.5 minutes is about how long it takes to fully heat a cat up that has cooled off .... Other things you might check in the meantime is, the plugs, wires, cap and rotor and valve settings., HC usually indicates a misfire which can be ignition related such as the above items or it can be caused by running way too lean which your CO doesn't seem to indicate.. Or way too rich which allso your co doesn't seem to show.
Ignitions faults, O2 sensor fault or bad cat.....Bad cat is unlikely, O2 sensor possible and ignition faults possible...First i would go through again with the cat really warmed up...

http://www.bimmer.info/%7Ee34/scan_2.jpg

BigD
05-07-2004, 04:58 PM
Wow! That's lucky! No here you have to pay and you pay for retests (less though I think). But the right people will give you the stupid piece of paper for twice the one test. Usually in the tuner world - don't have to worry about failing, or having a random grease monkey touch your baby (I'd like to know how they do emissions on a RWD dyno with an AWD...).

Thanks all.

Bimmer Nut Ed
05-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Bill, you're probably right on. Wifey tells me that they turned the car off for about five minutes, right before they tested it. Every other time I've gone for the test, I've never had the car turned off, and they never turned it off. It passed each of those times. Thanks for your insight.

DueyT
05-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Wow, Ed....no NOx? That's good....time for a Tony's Tune-up for 30 mins! :D That and a few shots of Techron perhaps. Then again, maybe there's something else amiss?

cheers,
Duey