PDA

View Full Version : 'OIL PRESS SENSOR' warning message

Jim E
05-07-2004, 12:47 PM
In the last few weeks, I occassionaly get this message in my check control. It has happened at startup and shutdown. Has anybody experienced this? Is it definately a bad sensor, or could there be other wiring problems from the sensor to the computer? Also, is this sensor located at the bottom of the oil pan, attached with three small (10mm?) bolts, with a wire running from it? An insight would be appreciated.

Jim E. Kent, WA
'89 535im

Martin in Bellevue
05-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Oil pressure is measured by a sensor at the top back of the head on an m30. The sensor at the bottom of the sump, captured by a ring with 3 nuts, is for oil volume.

Some on the board have reported that parking uphill will cause this volume sensor to report low oil volume.

Dick Schneiders
05-07-2004, 01:24 PM
It was also intermittent and happened mostly when yours is. It was a bad oil pressure sensor and was very inexpensive and easy to replace. Cost around $20 and took less than an hour, but I am quite slow. As mentioned, the sensor at the bottom of the pan is the oil *level* sensor and it is quite a bit more expensive and not your problem right now.

Dick Schneiders

In the last few weeks, I occassionaly get this message in my check control. It has happened at startup and shutdown. Has anybody experienced this? Is it definately a bad sensor, or could there be other wiring problems from the sensor to the computer? Also, is this sensor located at the bottom of the oil pan, attached with three small (10mm?) bolts, with a wire running from it? An insight would be appreciated.

Jim E. Kent, WA
'89 535im