PDA

View Full Version : Ran Out Of Fuel,now Having Hiccups

bmwrp8
05-22-2007, 12:51 AM
Yup I didn't know I was running out of fuel...My guage tells me I have 1/4 fuel left then the engine sputtered then died!Then I realized I had no fuel...Soo I walked only 5kms.to the gas station bought gas and voila it started...I changed my floater and all is fine for the whole day after I ran out of fuel but the next day my engine was having on and off "hiccups", it's been a week now.Any ideas?Air in the fuel line? I just changed my fuel filter still the same..Do you guys think its the pump again?? I just changed it about 10 months ago b-new.

632 Regal
05-22-2007, 01:31 AM
id guess crud in the fuel pickup screen, all kinds of nasties in there. run it real low and drain the bottom tank drain to get the cruddies out. Might need to pull the pump again to clean the screen too.

bmwrp8
05-22-2007, 01:35 AM
id guess crud in the fuel pickup screen, all kinds of nasties in there. run it real low and drain the bottom tank drain to get the cruddies out. Might need to pull the pump again to clean the screen too.

are you talking about the screen under the fuel pump??if soo i'll give it a try i'll clean it tom. But if ever do you think my pump is dieing because I ran out of fuel? with the pump less than a year old?

632 Regal
05-22-2007, 01:54 AM
well, maybe, fuel keeps the pump cool and from overheating so it is a possibility that you fried the thing a bit. pumps arent very expensive so maybe a new pump and screen would be in order. Sucks having to do stuff twice but I have also read over the years about running out of fuel with no pump related failures...tough call bro.

are you talking about the screen under the fuel pump??if soo i'll give it a try i'll clean it tom. But if ever do you think my pump is dieing because I ran out of fuel? with the pump less than a year old?

bmwrp8
05-22-2007, 02:02 AM
well, maybe, fuel keeps the pump cool and from overheating so it is a possibility that you fried the thing a bit. pumps arent very expensive so maybe a new pump and screen would be in order. Sucks having to do stuff twice but I have also read over the years about running out of fuel with no pump related failures...tough call bro.

oh well that sucks:( i'll check the fuel pressure after cleaning the screen since sometimes theres no hiccups...i'll also check the injectors and fuel pressure regulator.thanks bro:D

shogun
05-22-2007, 02:52 AM
do not know if they are good, but very cheap, $ 68.99
http://search.stores.ebay.com/Super-Parts-Inc_bmw_W0QQfcdZ2QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ4QQfsnZSuperQ20Pa rtsQ20IncQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsaselZ14112502QQsofpZ0

bmwrp8
05-22-2007, 02:58 AM
do not know if they are good, but very cheap, $ 68.99
http://search.stores.ebay.com/Super-Parts-Inc_bmw_W0QQfcdZ2QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ4QQfsnZSuperQ20Pa rtsQ20IncQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsaselZ14112502QQsofpZ0

I saw your post before but i'll check first everything including the fuel pressure before buying a new pump again.It pains me to know that i paid more than 11,000 philippine pesos or more than $200 for a new pump and its only 10 months old:( Do you think its the pump? the hiccups comes and goes

bmwrp8
05-30-2007, 05:00 AM
ok I checked my pump and the pressure reading was fine...I borrowed 3 fuel pumps from the yard just to be sure I'm still having that freakin hiccups...I changed my fuel filter again drained my tank and filled it up again with premium fuel...still the same! changed my plugs but to no avail...Any takers???:(

Bimmerman
05-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Did the exact same thing in December after changing my fuel pump, fuel gauge read high, causing me to run dry. Car ran like sh*t for two - three weeks, new fuel filter, then all fine. i believe it must have sucked up all the crap in the bottom of the tank, took a day or two to clear up with new filter though...
Regal is 100% correct, pump needs fuel to keep cool. Maybe I got lucky. Good luck!

bmwrp8
05-30-2007, 10:02 AM
3weeks??hmm.. im in my 2nd week lets give it 2 more weeks if no change maybe ill check my injectors..anyone cleaned there injectors?any pointers?

gmannino
05-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Injectors are clogged. Clogged injectors will surely give you hiccups. Try injector cleaner or remove them and clean them by hand. Soak them in injector cleaner or have them cleaned professionally in a sonicator or injector cleaning machine.

takumidrift30
05-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Got the same problem when I got the 2nd 525, when I test drove it before buying and I ran for a couple of miles (freeway and traffic) it was running so smooth and idle purring like a cat. It has 1/4 of gas then, the following day I picked her up barely made it to the gas station..as in barely the dude used the car and didn't put gas on it, well obviously it doesn't make any sense to put it in because it was sold. When I filled her up and went home started to have the hiccups. Changed the fuel filter ran for a week having the hiccups, put injector cleaner and alternately complete fuel system cleaner in 2 weeks ran smoothly and got her purring again. Just sharing my experience it's worth the effort.

bmwrp8
05-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Injectors are clogged. Clogged injectors will surely give you hiccups. Try injector cleaner or remove them and clean them by hand. Soak them in injector cleaner or have them cleaned professionally in a sonicator or injector cleaning machine.

does injector cleaners added in the gas tank really work??

632 Regal
05-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Im not positive but I think the gurus reccomend the BG injector cleaner. run the tank low on fuel then add the stuff and run it about 20 miles. remember you have to change your oil after this operation because of all the contaminents that will get into the oil from the cleaner.
does injector cleaners added in the gas tank really work??

bmwrp8
05-31-2007, 08:49 AM
Im not positive but I think the gurus reccomend the BG injector cleaner. run the tank low on fuel then add the stuff and run it about 20 miles. remember you have to change your oil after this operation because of all the contaminents that will get into the oil from the cleaner.

i'll give it try but i dunno if can get BG injector cleaner here... thanks for the info though regal:D

gmannino
05-31-2007, 02:56 PM
Yeah injector clean in the tank does work. I used to drive an old 86 5 series that would hiccup on the freeway. Injector cleaner in the gas tank would make the issue go away for months.

bmwrp8
06-05-2007, 09:23 PM
FINALLY!!!hiccups is gone! tried injector cleaner 2x didn't work still has hiccups. so I went to my mechanic and we took out the injectors and found injector 1&2 was clogged as hell! cleaned the injectors with WD-40,compressed air, and wire to tap the injectors to the battery and adjusted the valves aswell.Problem solved...asked me $6 for all:D