PDA

View Full Version : Oil Level

Karl
05-22-2007, 12:42 AM
In my car--'91 525i with M50 engine--I'm getting the Engine Oil Low advisory. But oil level is OK on the dip stick, about 1/2qt low. I gave mechanic a heads up to have oil level sensor on hand when it comes in for an oil change shortly, and he said those sensors never fail. (I've replaced coolant level sensor to correct erroneous coolant level low warning. This seemed like the same thing) So I tried to check connections, but it looks like I'd have to dismantle the intake to follow its wire. Is there something easier I should check first?

632 Regal
05-22-2007, 12:45 AM
the sensors DO GO BAD. You could try taking it out and rinsing the crud out with laquir thinner or whatever which fixed mine but hey you have a new one...why not try that first before dismanteling everything

good luck!

bmwrp8
05-22-2007, 12:54 AM
In my car--'91 525i with M50 engine--I'm getting the Engine Oil Low advisory. But oil level is OK on the dip stick, about 1/2qt low. I gave mechanic a heads up to have oil level sensor on hand when it comes in for an oil change shortly, and he said those sensors never fail. (I've replaced coolant level sensor to correct erroneous coolant level low warning. This seemed like the same thing) So I tried to check connections, but it looks like I'd have to dismantle the intake to follow its wire. Is there something easier I should check first?

I have the same problem a couple of months back problem was the sensor.Replaced it with a new one, now no probs.

Paul in NZ
05-22-2007, 03:54 AM
oil level about halfway down the dipstick will trigger the low oil level

Dave M
05-22-2007, 07:00 AM
Same issue here.

I have learned to live with it, and ultimately wouldn't trust a 'working' unit with my engines health anyway. I check the oil level every few days with the car cold on a flat surface. Every now and then the low oil level chimes and I know its crying wolf. Whats a new sensor worth these days? Probably more than I'm willing to spend ;)

Dave

Russell
05-22-2007, 08:31 PM
very old and thick oil can cause sensors to hang in the e28. Same in an e-34? Just a thought.

ThoreauHD
05-23-2007, 02:11 AM
I haven't seen that error yet on the V8 engine I have. I've always used synthetic, mobil one 0w-40, and now redline 10w-40. That oil level sender of yours runs 130, so it is pricey. But it looks like a solid state device, so it could be cleaned. Too bad it's not one of the 20 dollar temp sensor jobbies.

http://catimages2.sophio.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/imc/images/full/12611748193.jpg

icesoft
05-23-2007, 02:08 PM
I believe I ran across a service bulletin a couple weeks ago on the M20/M50 engines having a porous float in the oil level sensor causing this issue.

The device is probably the same as the coolant sensor in that it has a float with a magnet attached and a reed-switch that it closes when the level is either too low or sufficient.