PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Windshield

dave b
05-21-2007, 04:44 PM
While performing the difficult task of changing my wiper inserts, I cracked my windshield (I bumped the wiper arm and it shot down onto the windshield). Now I need a new windshield. What can I expect to pay for a new one + installation?

Thanks,
dave b
1993 525i
170k miles
1 cracked windshield

Vanguard
05-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Well, your question is pretty timely. I just had mine replaced this afternoon. The glass guy just left about 30 mins ago. The total price for the AAA approved guy was $341 and change. My deductible was $250 and AAA picked up the rest.

I'm going to pick up some new wipers on the way home, so I will take your post to heart and exercise some caution. :D

MBXB
05-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Check your auto insurance policy. Some states have zero deductible for windshields no matter what caused the crack.

xspeedy
05-21-2007, 04:57 PM
I did the same exact thing recently, and luckily I had a $100 comprehensive deductible. I have USAA, so I pretty much had to go with Safelite. They offered a choice of Pilkington or PPG. I went with the latter. The expensive part is the trim/moulding if required. Luckily, with the USAA/Safelite combo, USAA will pay for the trim if it is deemed necessary.

dave b
05-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Check your auto insurance policy. Some states have zero deductible for windshields no matter what caused the crack.
that was my other question - I have AAA and was going to give them a call this afternoon. I was under the impression that some policies replace no matter what with no deductible.

But $350 is not too bad. I assume the work is pretty fast?

and careful with the wiper arms - it was a very depressing sound when it snapped down. And the crack was big....

thanks,
db

Vanguard
05-21-2007, 05:04 PM
The whole process took less than an hour. He was able to re-use the trim, but had to use new clips. After seeing the old plastic ones, I'd make sure they use new ones.

Zeuk in Oz
05-21-2007, 05:09 PM
I changed my windscreen last year.

I insisted on a genuine BMW windscreen. which was dearer than the locally made copy and the insurance company paid for it.

My premium in Oz meant I paid nothing at all - no excess on windscreens.

(By the way, another point of differing English usage - in Oz a windshield is a plastic shield added to the front of either front door window to allow high speed driving with front windows open without buffeting - often used by smokers.)