PDA

View Full Version : Help needed...DME trouble.

yy101
05-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Took my DME out over the weekend and this morning put it back to goto work. A TRANS PROGRAM fault message showed up and when I try to start the car the motor turns over but does not start. Tried a couple of times and it definitely is not starting.

I am in trouble aren't I :D

Ross
05-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Assuming the power was off when you did this I see no reason for simply having unplugged it cause this. Why did you remove it to begin with?

yy101
05-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Assuming the power was off when you did this I see no reason for simply having unplugged it cause this. Why did you remove it to begin with?

Power was off...sh*t...you mean I had to disconnet the battery? No that didnt happen.

I was removing it to get the serial number off my ECU chip.

rob101
05-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Power was off...sh*t...you mean I had to disconnet the battery? No that didnt happen.

I was removing it to get the serial number off my ECU chip.
lol, that sucks, I hope you haven't damaged the electronics yango.

Ross
05-20-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure if battery power needs to be off but it would seem advisable. I don't think the dme sees battery voltage. Check your fuses esp #23 and check also that one of the connectors didn't get pushed out through the bottom of the box.

gale
05-20-2007, 04:51 PM
I've done 2 e36 325i m50 chip swaps without disconnecting the battery (didn't have the radio codes handy) & no problems with either with the -413 DME. Also have done my m30 -179 DME countless times with no side effects. Sometimes the harness connector latch can get screwy. Maybe check that it's seated all the way.

yy101
05-20-2007, 07:26 PM
My indy arrived with the car-man scanner and basically the DME is not talking to the scanner at all...so hes taken the thing out and going back to his shop to check all my wiring and solder pins, I may have stretched one wire or something. He did get error code for CAN1 ignition timing and some other thing relating to the engine.

ARGH!!! :(

Boom n Zoom
05-20-2007, 07:35 PM
That is not good.

Hopefully it will be a simple repair from here on for ya.

Mate, Always disconnect the Battery if you are going to play around with 'Car electrics' (here after called Vitz)
It's a good rule of thumb, not always nessesary but anything with a computer it's better/safer to.

BTW If you get too many Vitz you'll turn green, bust out of your shirt and go and harrass criminals when you least expect it.

yy101
05-20-2007, 09:07 PM
That is not good.

Hopefully it will be a simple repair from here on for ya.

Mate, Always disconnect the Battery if you are going to play around with 'Car electrics' (here after called Vitz)
It's a good rule of thumb, not always nessesary but anything with a computer it's better/safer to.

BTW If you get too many Vitz you'll turn green, bust out of your shirt and go and harrass criminals when you least expect it.

Nah its okay we got electricians (and electrical engineers) to harass on site. They are universally hated, even by the civil guys. :D

yy101
05-21-2007, 01:52 AM
Okay my indy checked out my DME with a multimeter and cant seem to find any fault with it but he cant tell whether a chip is fried or not. So its either female connector harness not seated down properly or my DME got spiked...I will let you guys know what happens tomorrow. Will try to put it in in the morning.