PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try to replace OEM lock actuator with aftermarket?

Kibokojoe
05-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Looking into replacing the OEM lock actuator with an aftermarket actuator. Since the old one crapped out due to rubber boot cracking. And the rubber boots are no longer available. It pretty much became a rain gauge. It was amazing the amount of water this baby collected. I was hoping to find one that is a better design. I have seen some 2 wire designs but no three wires so far. Is there anyway of hooking up a two wire? I am assuming one of the wires on the three wire is a ground. Don't know what the other two wires are for, I am guessing for pushing and pulling?

Rus
05-20-2007, 10:07 PM
The reason there are three wires is because there are two motors inside the actuator. One does the pushing and pulling, the other controls the double-locking feature. A two wire actuator wouldn't be able to work with the double-lock system that BMW provided in these cars. You could of course forego the double-locking, but one can only wonder how the car's electronics will respond to that feature's absence. HTH

Kibokojoe
05-21-2007, 06:28 AM
Ah yes the double lock feature. This feature was removed shortly after this model wasn't it. Sounds like one could bypass the double lock and just use a two wire actuator to lock and unlock the doors. I have seen actuators for a whopping $5.00 on line. 3/4" throw. Sounds like a fun project just to see if it would work. Its cheap and the best thing is no water leaking into the actuator.