PDA

View Full Version : Six little Billy Joels is what I need

31Hertz
05-19-2007, 07:30 AM
for my six little pianos...:p
It looks to me like she was running on the original head gasket. Everything looks as though it has 25 years of carbon and dirt buildup.

This bolt would not clear the firewall, so I had to rig up the vice grips to keep it clear of the block while removing the head. Looks like rust on the firewall, but it is adhesive from the old crumbling insulation.

goddam stupid frikken block sealer--DON'T DO THIS TO YOUR CAR!!!

Finally, the head is off... This took me several weeks of working for very short periods of time by myself. I was quite surprised at how "light" the head / manifold combo was. I expected quite a bit of weight, but I was able to move the entire assembly around by myself once it was off the block. I did have help removing it though. There is no crumbling of the metal on either the block or the head. I will admit that I am very glad to have this stage completed. I was quite afraid that I would pull the head off only to find carnage as per a recent thread... I know I am only halfway there, but I am so glad to be where I'm at. I am taking the head to a feller here to have him put new seals in, check the valvetrain out, pressure test, and skim if necessary.

632 Regal
05-19-2007, 09:38 PM
nice project, dont wait too long or you might forget where everything goes ;)

steve0suprem0
05-20-2007, 01:53 PM
billy joel? wtf?

Ross
05-20-2007, 04:09 PM
The shape of the valve reliefs on the piston crowns.

steve0suprem0
05-21-2007, 04:40 PM
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhh...

i get it. wow. that one came outta nowhere.