PDA

View Full Version : TMS Chip -vs- EAT Chip

Sam-Son
05-18-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm looking for a performance chip for my '95 M50, and from what I've read the two best chips ar the EAT & the TMS chip. i've heard many good things about the EAT but I havent seen any reviews for the TMS. All Iknow is it's comparable the the EAT but gives you more horsepower. If any of you have either of these chip what are your opinions of them?
Thanks
-Mike

632 Regal
05-18-2007, 04:06 PM
I dont believe there is any dyno information on the EAT chips. The reviews I read are that there is not much gain with the M50 engines because they are small wheras the 4.4 engines have a dramatic improvement. Either chip should make the 2.5 more driveable for you with the EAT being less expensive. There is a sale going on in a sticky thread right now for the EAT.

gale
05-18-2007, 07:20 PM
I chipped my wife's e36 m50 with a no-name ebay clone (sorry MarkD, had to cheap out -- it's an "evaluation copy"). Definitely worth it. Now all I need to do is get rid of the massive dual-mass flywheel and put a 3.46 diff in it.

Sam-Son
05-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Mark told me there is a 19HP increase on my 2.5, and I'm not one to "cheap out" when it comes to my car

Martin in Bellevue
05-18-2007, 08:18 PM
.. Now all I need to do is get rid of the massive dual-mass flywheel..
Gale, please let us know if ya come up with a replacement flywheel from an earlier motor. I have a suspicion that the m20 might provide a useable flywheel, but I have no confirmation. I'd like to eventually get a light flywheel for the e36 m3, if only to remove the dual mass anchor. S52s use the same flywheel as m50s, right?

Guapo
05-18-2007, 08:27 PM
I have an EAT chip in my '92 M50. I am very happy with it for the money. The biggest gain is the low end torque. Overall there isn't much more power, but down low there is a reasonable increase in grunt. Makes for better driveability.

I wouldn't pay $500 for it, but for the money it was well worth it.

gale
05-18-2007, 08:31 PM
The e30 m20 single-mass flywheel supposedly fits. I forget the details. I think the backside needs a minor skim cut to clear the bolt heads on the back side of the block. It also needs a euro e21 323 throwout bearing to get the throw-out fork travel/geometry right. I'm guessing one would use the e30 disk & pressure plate. Can't speak for the S52 motor differences/similarities.

BTW, I scored a good used stock 15 lb e24 '84 633i single-mass flywheel, pressure plate, & disk on ebay for less than a C-note for my son's e34 535i 5-spd conversion. Can't wait to start that project later this summer. The "Winfred fix" we did on the automatic worked well but I don't expect the slushbox to make it for the long term.

mikeythekidd
05-19-2007, 08:20 AM
I put an EAT chip in my M50 with a Touring body which was a gutless pig. It is still a gutless pig but a much more driveable one. I'm guessing there is only so much that can be done with that motor and assume Mr. D'Sylva has managed to squeeze all he could and still run on the crap 91 octane, with added corn sweeteners, that passes for petrol in the Midwest.
I would buy the chip again in a minute especially at the price currently being offered. And if you don't believe me go to his web site and read what others have said. Also, don't forget the contribution Mr. D'Sylva has made to this board!
"You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig"

Scott C
05-19-2007, 10:02 PM
I cant provide the comparison you are looking for... What I can tell you is the EAT definitely improved the overall drivability of the car. You really had to push the pedal to get the car to move prior to the chip, afterwards, it moves noticeably more quickly with less foot pressure. This by itself justified the $200.

Sam-Son
05-19-2007, 10:12 PM
So the general consensus is that the EAT chip is pretty good. Is there anybody who has the TMS chip?

632 Regal
05-20-2007, 12:51 AM
I did, the EAT was better but never finished the prototype for the 530. the 525 is done and as far as I can tell helps quite a bit. if your worried you wont get as much performance from the EAT then your really questioning performance, the EAT "requires" premium fuel where the TMC asks for midgrade.

So the general consensus is that the EAT chip is pretty good. Is there anybody who has the TMS chip?

Sam-Son
05-20-2007, 01:50 PM
I did, the EAT was better but never finished the prototype for the 530. the 525 is done and as far as I can tell helps quite a bit. if your worried you wont get as much performance from the EAT then your really questioning performance, the EAT "requires" premium fuel where the TMC asks for midgrade.

The TMS also requires 91

632 Regal
05-20-2007, 02:04 PM
really? hmm...
The TMS also requires 91

Russell
05-20-2007, 02:34 PM
My m50 is much more drivable with the EAT chip. Seems to have more grunt around town. Still no powerhouse. Just better.

Sam-Son
05-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Are there any ways to get even more HP out of the M50 without turbo chargers? I want to keep the engine naturally aspirated

Boone.Msi
05-20-2007, 04:08 PM
s50 parts will give you a little more N/A power, but thats a whole new thread there...

Sam-Son
05-20-2007, 04:17 PM
s50 parts will give you a little more N/A power, but thats a whole new thread there...
Yeah I'm kinda hijacking my own thread.

MarkD
05-20-2007, 11:36 PM
Are there any ways to get even more HP out of the M50 without turbo chargers? I want to keep the engine naturally aspirated

Sure, add M3 cams and a different chip.

Or send it to Metric Mechanic and get it stroked to 3.3l or so.

Have you seen the videos of cars I tuned for MM? They are available here: www.metricmechanic.com

There is a video of an m50b33tu available for viewing there.

Mark

repenttokyo
05-21-2007, 09:35 AM
That metric mechanic page is cool, but the only pricing info I could find was for M20 / M30 strokers. How much would stroking an M50 set me back? I found pricing on M50 heads, but no stroking info.

Sam-Son
05-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Oh No I just saw the vid. I want my engine stroked. I was thinking of stretching to 3.0 but 3.3 looks pretty good. Couple of concerns though main one is price, second if the stroker is within my limit should I even bother getting a chip now?

grave77
05-21-2007, 02:11 PM
don't always look for HP gain as much as u have to observe the curve changers / RPM. most chips will give you few HP but it does change the gain at low RPM. I personally would say that the E34 535 M30 engine got the best results with the EAT chip without any competition. the M50 2.5 is already a well designed engine, I guess any of the good chips would give u better HP at lower RPM which you would notice right away.

Sam-Son
05-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Anybody know how much it costs to have Metric Mechanic stoke a 2.5 to 3.3?

Sam-Son
05-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Just had a long talk with the guys at Metric Mechanic and first off the prices are astronomical. Second if I'm gonna do serious engine work on my car I'm gonna do it right and have it done by the pros not go fitting other engine parts to an engine that isn't suited for it. So for the time being it seems my only mods are a 5-spd conversion and a chip.

grave77
05-23-2007, 02:10 AM
a 5 -spd tranny conversion will totally change your car, but make sure you find the right rear drive ratio, I did the same conversion on my 535i keeping the rear 3.91 ratio made the car really slow on highways, or as Jeff said, it turned into an efficient 4 speed car as I can take off from the 2nd gear.

a chip will enhance the performance with the manual tranny for sure.

later on you can consider the Vortech supercharger, it's much easier than a turbo charger to install. good luck

Sam-Son
05-23-2007, 02:00 PM
I would get what ever the stock ratio was from the BMW factory. Also Iwill always keep my car Naturally Aspirated