PDA

View Full Version : is my tranny fixable?

Kulasstar
05-18-2007, 11:46 AM
i have a '91 525i Automatic with 190XXX

The past few months i have had a trans problem. When at a dead stop I step on the gas and the engine just revs. Then a second later it the trans will catch and jerks the car forward. This only happens when at a dead stop, once im in higher gears its fine. Also it is less frequent when the car has reached a warm temp. I flushed and refilled the trans fluid and it stop for about 3 months then started to happening again. My mechanic said another flush wont fix it so it just has to be replaced. I really dont want to spend all that money on a new trans. Is there anyone who would know exactly what my problem is and a way to fix it. If not I might have to consider selling my car. Im also going to check junk yards for a new trany is there a price range I should be shooting for?

whiskychaser
05-18-2007, 12:40 PM
i have a '91 525i Automatic with 190XXX

The past few months i have had a trans problem. When at a dead stop I step on the gas and the engine just revs. Then a second later it the trans will catch and jerks the car forward. This only happens when at a dead stop, once im in higher gears its fine. Also it is less frequent when the car has reached a warm temp. I flushed and refilled the trans fluid and it stop for about 3 months then started to happening again. My mechanic said another flush wont fix it so it just has to be replaced. I really dont want to spend all that money on a new trans. Is there anyone who would know exactly what my problem is and a way to fix it. If not I might have to consider selling my car. Im also going to check junk yards for a new trany is there a price range I should be shooting for?

There are loads of posts on here about tranny problems so I would do a search before you throw in the towel. Search may also help you identify whoever had a good one up for sale on here recently. I cant give you US prices but breakers in the UK want £250-£450. Reconditioned is around £1200. Thats for a 5HP18 but I think you may have a GM box.

Ross
05-18-2007, 12:43 PM
632 regal has one for your car I believe @$450

attack eagle
05-18-2007, 03:06 PM
you might as well put a new torque converter in it while you have it out.
I think IPT even has upgraded ones.

Tiger
05-18-2007, 03:10 PM
It is most likely the seal problem... where? Either clutchpack or the electroservo... with that kind of mileage on the transmission, I'd rebuild it or put in a cheap used one.