PDA

View Full Version : E34 Bass players?

MBXB
05-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Any bass players out there using their E34 (nonTouring) to haul bass gear to a gig? I'm looking for a bass rig that'll fit in a regular E34 trunk and be punchy enough in a small venue. P-bass can go in the back seat.
I'm trying to avoid buying a van or a Touring.

Dr. evil
05-17-2007, 11:57 PM
i prefer to use quality over quantity when it comes to small spaces. it all depends on how much money you are planning to invest

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-18-2007, 01:25 AM
and use a crate bass amp.

the smaller peavy, mesa boogie and fenders fit too.

The rick rides shotgun, and the amp goes in the back.

I was thinking about a galian kruger and cabinet speakers.

I've had old fender bassman tube amps and twin 16" cabnets that fit in smaller cars.

Fred/Houston
05-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Any bass players out there using their E34 (nonTouring) to haul bass gear to a gig? I'm looking for a bass rig that'll fit in a regular E34 trunk and be punchy enough in a small venue. P-bass can go in the back seat.
I play guitar and my son plays bass. We can get his Fender 25W amp in the rear along with my Mesa Boogie .22 studio+, a Strat, a 335 and a Pbass in the car quite comfortably.
The 335 takes the back seat because I'm anal about it,but it all fits in the trunk.
Fred/Houston

E34-520iSE
05-18-2007, 03:30 PM

What about just setting up a graphic eq to your own 'sound' then DI'ing it straight into the mixing desk? That will give you less heavy gear to hump around.Have you tried your local music shop, to see what bass combo's they have? Oh and take a tape measure!

Good luck,

Shaun M

MBXB
05-18-2007, 03:46 PM
I've been looking into the small 12 combo setups or 12 cabs and do the DI to the board. I've been trolling GC, Ash and the local shops.
My smallest combo has a 15, extension cabs are also Mesa 15's.
Not a good thing to stuff into the back seat, just a hair too large to fit into the trunk.

E34-520iSE
05-19-2007, 03:35 AM
Yeah it's those extension cabs that are gonna take up all the space. Are you able to store and transport the bass rig with the PA system, maybe by bunging someone a couple of $? If you can do that you will just need a small 'practise' combo for at home. That's what I did, many moons ago, as I did not have a car at the time and had to carry my guitar and fx on the bus everywhere.

Cheers,

Shaun M

31Hertz
05-19-2007, 06:55 AM
I have a 3x12 cabinet, and a 4x10 cabinet. I don't use both; the 3x12 is my main cab with an Eden Road Runner head. Neither cab will fit in my trunk, but luckily two of my band mates have SUVs. So I usually carry lighting or smaller PA stuff in the 540. The DI thing with a good monitor mix and small personal cab/amp combo would do the trick. I might suggest a 2x12 horizontal side-by-side cab if you are a 5-string player. I had an Acoustic 2x12 at one time, and it would fit just about anywhere. Check out Dr. Bass. He can custom make a cabinet to your depth requirements and calculate the other necessary dimensions to provide good sound and fitment in the trunk. His prices are reasonable, but be prepared to wait; as production lead time was about 5 months for my 3x12. It was worth it though.http://www.drbasscabs.com/

Jon K
05-19-2007, 07:38 AM
I play a Warwick 6 string and used to have a an SWR 1x12 combo and it fit in the car fine before I started getting ridiculous.

Speaking of which, anyone interested in a Ibanez EDB400? 4-string ergodyne I am trying to let go for less than $200 if anyone is interested.

DigitalRelay
05-19-2007, 08:37 AM
The last band I was in, the bass player and I (guitar) both went direct from PODXT Live Floor units. I was using in-ear monitors, and the bass player would monitor from floor wedges. Setup and tear down was quick and it was awesome to get in and out of the club in one trip.

e34musician
05-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Aha... didn't know that a lot of us here play bass. Cool! :) I've played guitar mainly since high school in the mid 80's when all the hair bands were on their hay days.

I don't shred anymore. I recently play bass in a weekend classic rock / blue band, just for fun. I do some home recording when I'm free. Anyway, I use Musicman Stingray in a hard case. It fits my e34 truck just fine. I don't have to carry any bass amp as my guitar player has an extra fender bassman amp (4x10) that already stays in our practice room (garage). I used to carry my LP standard and Fender HotRod (1x12 combo) in the trunk without a problem.

Any, good to see more "musicians" in this board. Cheer!