PDA

View Full Version : which 5-speed does the 530i use? (m)

markus
05-17-2007, 12:26 PM
is it model specific or is it from another model? Im tyring to see if I can put together a kit myself than paying the $1900 that euro depot wants. I figure I can cut costs by just swapping in the brake and clutch pedals and see if gale would make me a bracket for the clutch return spriung. getting new clutch hydraulics and lines. We sell the steel braided hoses at work which I can probly get for cheap made by russel. does anyone have a diagram of the hydraulic plumbing for the master and slave cyninders? of course I would get a brand new slave cylinder and master cyl for the clutch. I would install a lightweight flywheel at the same time because the stock dual mass one is expensive and hard to come by so screw that.

Which clutch would I use? the one for a 540i or a 530i? The diameters are different arent they? But in theory the 530i and 540i both use the same block so the tranny will bolt up.

Well I know someone on here has swapped a 5-speed gearbox into their 540i and hopefully that member will see my post and give me a hand. This job cant be that hard and reading gale's writeup it looks no harder than just dropping a tranny and replacing it with a 5-speed.

yaofeng
05-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Shop around. I bought my 6 speed package for $2,000 plus shipping ($150 or so). Try

http://car-part.com/

Put in 540 6 speed transmission and start calling.

E34 530
05-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Shop around. I bought my 6 speed package for $2,000 plus shipping ($150 or so). Try

http://car-part.com/

Put in 540 6 speed transmission and start calling.

what exactly came in the "package," just the trans?

yaofeng
05-17-2007, 03:37 PM
what exactly came in the "package," just the trans?

Everything required to convert the auto to 6 speed, although I have to get some small parts. Tha package includes,

6 speed gear box,
shifter, boot, linkage and shifter cover trim,
driveshaft,
differential,
flywheel and clutch assembly although I bought a new clutch kit,
clutch slave cylinder, clutch fluid reservoir and hudraulic hard line,
stick shift pedal assembly,
gear box support beam,
nuts and bolts.

I may have missed some items as this is from memory.