PDA

View Full Version : Self-locking steering wheel center nut?

andyman32
05-07-2004, 07:04 AM
Hi guys,

I'm about to work on putting my new (used) steering wheel on. The old one has worn a hole through the leather wrap... an unacceptable blemish!

Bentley's says to use a new self-locking center nut on the steering wheel, but doesn't offer a part number, and I don't want to go pull off the airbag just to have a look at this nut, only THEN to order it online somewhere...

So, is this a BMW-specific nut? What size / thread? If I need to special-order it, anyone know where I can do so? I have been unable to find it on the part sites I've used so far. Does anyone have a part number... or do I not need one?

Thanks,

Andy

DrewZ
05-07-2004, 08:40 AM
Hi guys,

I'm about to work on putting my new (used) steering wheel on. The old one has worn a hole through the leather wrap... an unacceptable blemish!

Bentley's says to use a new self-locking center nut on the steering wheel, but doesn't offer a part number, and I don't want to go pull off the airbag just to have a look at this nut, only THEN to order it online somewhere...

So, is this a BMW-specific nut? What size / thread? If I need to special-order it, anyone know where I can do so? I have been unable to find it on the part sites I've used so far. Does anyone have a part number... or do I not need one?

Thanks,

Andy

Warren N.CA
05-07-2004, 02:49 PM
seemed to know the part number or how to find it. Guys on this board say OK to reuse with appropriate (removable) locktite.

I think the advice not to reuse may be only CYA legal strategy. This is bad, because there really are some nuts (like driveshaft) that should really not be reused.

Hi guys,

Thanks,

Andy

Jason
05-07-2004, 03:01 PM
seemed to know the part number or how to find it. Guys on this board say OK to reuse with appropriate (removable) locktite.

I think the advice not to reuse may be only CYA legal strategy. This is bad, because there really are some nuts (like driveshaft) that should really not be reused.