PDA

View Full Version : Rear subframe bushes - DIY?

e34.535i.sport
05-15-2007, 03:12 PM
I am planning to change the rear subframe bushes on my 535i over the weekend, but need advice from anyone who's tried this before. Im a bit hesitant to start the job, as it would be my first major one. Ive serviced the car inc oil change and filters etc, and fixed a few hoses and things but thats about it so far. I really want to get into fixing thia car as it gives me a lot of satisfaction to be honest.

The situation is that i will be using axle stands, as i dont have a ramp or hydrolic lift. Any advice on doing the job i.e difficulty etc would be greatly appreciated, and also what tools i should have handy. Do you need one of those Pulling tools?

Also, i'm planning on doing the fuel filter at the same time - any useful hints would be appreciated - as i cant afford to mess this up, its thirsty enough as it is! :p

Many thanks in advance.

txp135
05-15-2007, 03:39 PM
When do you need to do this?

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Cut the bushings apart and use the weight of the car to press in the new ones.

slupregime
05-15-2007, 04:03 PM
sawz all techniqe i got it all done in 1 1/2 alot easier to do than what people said

e34.535i.sport
05-15-2007, 04:57 PM
When do you need to do this?

...this weekend really, the bushes are well and truly dead!

CharlesAFerg
05-15-2007, 04:57 PM
sawz all techniqe i got it all done in 1 1/2 alot easier to do than what people said

Punctuation please.

I had to read that post 3 times! :p

e34.535i.sport
05-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Cut the bushings apart and use the weight of the car to press in the new ones.

... put a jack under the new ones and push them with that against the weight of the car?

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-15-2007, 05:10 PM
... put a jack under the new ones and push them with that against the weight of the car?

carefully, so you don't lift the car off the stands.

zmuff
05-15-2007, 05:49 PM
I did mine about two months ago using the sawzall method...first time for me. It worked out pretty well. I didn't pull the bolts from inside the car, just left them hanging. While pressing in the new bushing, the car would lift about 1/4 inch off of the jackstand and then slowly settle back down on it. Each time took maybe 10 or 15 seconds for the bushing to go in (they're pretty tight). I just did that over and over until it was all the way in. Reinstalled the bracket and nut, then went to the other side. My car had to be pretty high to get the sawzall into the subrame. Maybe there are smaller/shorter ones? You can do it, just be patient and careful.

BigKriss
05-15-2007, 08:35 PM
I want to remove the subframe bushes but I'm having a hard time removing the subframe bolts.

Robert K
05-15-2007, 08:51 PM
This topic has been discussed many times over with some great writeups. Click on the search box and enter "subframe bushings." I did my subframe bushings about 8-10 months ago and used the advice from the archives. It wasn't the easiest job, but I did get it done.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

e34.535i.sport
05-17-2007, 04:02 PM
All input so far very much appreciated! Gonna sort it over the weekend... let you know how i fare...

slupregime
05-17-2007, 06:04 PM
dude it is not hard at all also while you are down there replace you dog bones ,because that does effect you rear end to self steer also

e34.535i.sport
05-18-2007, 03:26 PM
dude it is not hard at all also while you are down there replace you dog bones ,because that does effect you rear end to self steer also

Sorry could you dumbit down a little for me (Im new to this!) - Do the dogbones have a proper name for when i order them from the dealer? Thanks!

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Sorry could you dumbit down a little for me (Im new to this!) - Do the dogbones have a proper name for when i order them from the dealer? Thanks!

but once you see them, you'll now why we call em dogbones