PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Car won't start. (Code Needed???)

MTV
05-15-2007, 02:49 AM
Spent the past hour and a half searching for info on why it won't start. It is 1995 525iA with a manufacture date of 11/95. Just replaced the ignition housing and ignition cylinder. As recommended I disconnected the battery while doing the replacements. It was disconnected for 7 days. I also upgraded my OBC to a fully functional one. I used to have only the Time, Date & Temp OBC. It by the way does not seem to light up.

After putting everything back together and excited that she would run again I was disappointed when nothing happened. I turned the key and nothing. The engine did not turn and all I heard was a clicking sound from the ignition switch. It's as if something is preventing it from actually starting. First I thought it was a dead battery but when I jumped it nothing happened. Everything seems to be fine... interior lights, radio, headlights, horn, A/C, etc... But still nothing. Reminder the OBC was not lighted or running.

Do I need to reset something before it actually fires up? Is there a certain procedure that I am missing? Are there any codes that need to be entered?It's been a along day and I can't seem to think straight anymore. I apologize to all but I am really frustrated and disappointed. :( :( Any solutions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ferret
05-15-2007, 03:37 AM
Spent the past hour and a half searching for info on why it won't start. It is 1995 525iA with a manufacture date of 11/95. Just replaced the ignition housing and ignition cylinder. As recommended I disconnected the battery while doing the replacements. It was disconnected for 7 days. I also upgraded my OBC to a fully functional one. I used to have only the Time, Date & Temp OBC. It by the way does not seem to light up.

After putting everything back together and excited that she would run again I was disappointed when nothing happened. I turned the key and nothing. The engine did not turn and all I heard was a clicking sound from the ignition switch. It's as if something is preventing it from actually starting. First I thought it was a dead battery but when I jumped it nothing happened. Everything seems to be fine... interior lights, radio, headlights, horn, A/C, etc... But still nothing. Reminder the OBC was not lighted or running.

Do I need to reset something before it actually fires up? Is there a certain procedure that I am missing? Are there any codes that need to be entered?It's been a along day and I can't seem to think straight anymore. I apologize to all but I am really frustrated and disappointed. :( :( Any solutions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

When you say the ignition was just clicking, do you mean a click from the switch itself, a relay in the car or a repeated clicka-clicka-clicka noise from under the bonnet?

MTV
05-15-2007, 08:41 AM
When you say the ignition was just clicking, do you mean a click from the switch itself, a relay in the car or a repeated clicka-clicka-clicka noise from under the bonnet?

A clicking sound from the ignition switch itself.

Ross
05-15-2007, 11:57 AM
You did reconnect the switch to the housing. Right?

MTV
05-15-2007, 01:29 PM
You did reconnect the switch to the housing. Right?

Yes. Put everything back the same way before I took it apart. Battery is good. It seems as if something may be disabled. I reall do not want to take it to the shop but id worse comes to worse I will have to have it towed later in the day. :(

Evan
05-15-2007, 02:54 PM
how old is your battery? test it.. it may be dead

MTV
05-16-2007, 12:08 AM
Problem has been resolved!!! Thank you all for your inputs. The culprit was the "Imobiliser". My model was not equipped with the full range OBC. All I had was the Date, Time & Temp OBC. So after I replaced it with the full range one it messed up the security feature after I hooked up the battery and went into a shutdown mode.

Thanks again for your input. :D