PDA

View Full Version : Tink-tink-tink noise when pulling away in gear

Jon K
05-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Both mine and my sisters E34 have this "tink-tink-tink" noise as we engeage first and drive off. It sounds like something touching the driveshaft. I put my car up on a lift on Saturday and nothing looks to be touching what so ever.

This noise I have heard on a few E34s.

Checklist:

1) Not guibo, both perfect
2) Not center support bearing, both perfect
3) Not shift linkage touching driveshaft
4) Not heatshield touching driveshaft (don't think)

Anyone know what the hell I am talking about?

attack eagle
05-14-2007, 11:47 PM
does it do it under hard acceleration or only gentle acceleration?

The only time I have ever heard sounds like that from any car it was the u joints, or cv joints.

Jon K
05-15-2007, 12:00 AM
Just ordinary driving. Like back out of parking spot at house, go forward to leave. It's defintiely coming from the middle of the car. It sounds like taking something light mass, like a BBQ skewer and tapping the hollow drive shaft.

CVs are good

winfred
05-15-2007, 08:11 AM
probably a crapping out driveshaft, you could try squirting the suspected u-joint with a good spray penitrating lube like pb and see if it quiets

RallyD
05-15-2007, 08:23 AM
mine does it, light acceleration. just as the clutch is released but once it is rolling its fine.

i'll just wait until something falls off

Jon K
05-15-2007, 08:43 AM
probably a crapping out driveshaft, you could try squirting the suspected u-joint with a good spray penitrating lube like pb and see if it quiets

Winfred what could be crapping out? Should be fine though right? The 530i is lightly driven and the 525, well...

But they both make the same noise.

Ross
05-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Something in the exhaust system flexing....?

mikeythekidd
05-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Some crap inside the drive shaft?

Jon K
05-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Something in the exhaust system flexing....?

Very doubtful - my exhaust is a 3.0" turbo back and hers is stock, they can't possibly have the same issue :)

Maybe something in the driveshaft? But I dunno how anything would get inside it. Thanks for the ideas all.

nixter
05-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Brake rotor gaurds? Try pushing the back corners in a bit.

winfred
05-15-2007, 12:05 PM
u-joints can pop and make that ticking noise, without hearing it i can't say positive but not much else makes that sound

Winfred what could be crapping out? Should be fine though right? The 530i is lightly driven and the 525, well...

But they both make the same noise.

TC535i
05-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Kim's car does it, and I swear it's exhaust. As you take off, I think it's a flex issue... follow it back, see if it's hitting anything anywhere.

Jon K
05-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Kim's car does it, and I swear it's exhaust. As you take off, I think it's a flex issue... follow it back, see if it's hitting anything anywhere.

Tim I just welded a resonator in the center section - my exhaust is a single 3" pipe from the turbo back to the muffler, with a 3" resonator in the middle, all welded, no flanges what so ever - no clearance issues I can put my hand around the exhaust at all parts. Andreas exhaust is completely stock, cars make the same noise. Its not brake shields.

CharlesAFerg
05-15-2007, 05:00 PM
It's official...
Your car is kaput.

Jon, you're going to need to sell your car. :D

icesoft
05-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Somebody put zip-ties on your driveshafts and they're hitting the heat shield as the drive shaft turns :D :p