PDA

View Full Version : Quieting brake pads, an unusual approach

Adnan
05-06-2004, 09:01 PM
Hi,

When I replaced by pads and rotors the other weekend, I had a devil of a time getting the calipers off the rotor, which did have a substantial lip. I had to push the pistons in while on the car, to get enough clearance.

Once off, I realized why - the pads had been glued to the caliper and the piston with silicone adhesive! Granted, the brakes never squealed but isn't this a bit extreme?

Perhaps this is a common technique; anyone else use it?

Regards,
Adnan

Bill R.
05-06-2004, 09:19 PM
They usually come in a blue or an orangish color... Are you sure it wasn't the antisqueal compound?

Hi,

When I replaced by pads and rotors the other weekend, I had a devil of a time getting the calipers off the rotor, which did have a substantial lip. I had to push the pistons in while on the car, to get enough clearance.

Once off, I realized why - the pads had been glued to the caliper and the piston with silicone adhesive! Granted, the brakes never squealed but isn't this a bit extreme?

Perhaps this is a common technique; anyone else use it?

Regards,
Adnan

Adnan
05-07-2004, 01:18 PM

Bill R.
05-07-2004, 01:47 PM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/brakesquealstuff.jpg

Trevor
05-11-2004, 06:51 AM
The best (and cleanest) anto squeal compund to use are "shims". Aluminium/rubber compound in a sheet that you cu tto fit where the pad meets the caliper. Adhesive on 1 side to fits in place. Pick them up form you brake expert/shop.

Jeff N.
05-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Doesn't matter what pads he installs, they still squeal.... :D

Jeff

Bill R.
05-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Doesn't matter what pads he installs, they still squeal.... :D

Jeff

Jeff N.
05-11-2004, 07:29 PM
..of the pad he should put next to the rotor.