PDA

View Full Version : CD Changer/Stacker

Aussie525i
05-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi All,

I am new to this forum, however i have been lurking for a while. I have done a few searches, but come up with nothing conclusive. I have a '95 525 with the factory Alpine head unit. I want to put a CD changer in the boot, however I am not sure which unit will fit. The manaul says I need one with serial number 88 88 1 600 249, however I never seem to be able to find one that matches that number. Also, is the cable supposed to be in the boot. I have one which I is square, with a white bracket attached to it. All the stackers/changers I see have a round connector?
Any help appreciated.

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-14-2007, 09:04 PM
a black data cable with 11 to 13 pins is tucked away in the upper left hand corner.

Find it and begin your search for any BMW cd changer from that era with a matching data cable.

good luck

LunatiC
05-14-2007, 09:43 PM
I haven't dug around much in my boot so I don't know what connector I have, but since you're an Aussie and most of the Aussie E34 disc changers are the same, I'm guessing you need one of these:

http://acherion.com/blog/wp-content/bmw/IMG_0779.jpg

rob101
05-14-2007, 09:44 PM
welcome to the forum! now please fill in your profile.

BuckNaked
05-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Welcome to the forums.
I am dealing with the same issue. I found this to be helpful:
http://www.bmw-540i.com/1995-540i-cd-changer/index.php
It seems that the 95 is rather picky as to which cd changer it will recognize.
I am thinking of going with an upgrade to the cd43 or the Panasonic CQ-C7413U as seen on BavarianSoundWerks.com.

Aussie525i
05-15-2007, 05:57 PM
I have had a good look around the boot and could only find the pictured cables. I have pulled the back seat out, and have yet to take the back parcel shelf out in hope that it may be hiding under there. Does anyone know what these connections are for?

rob101
05-15-2007, 06:18 PM
I have had a good look around the boot and could only find the pictured cables. I have pulled the back seat out, and have yet to take the back parcel shelf out in hope that it may be hiding under there. Does anyone know what these connections are for?
mate, there are two connection for the cd stacker, one for which the pulg is housed on the LH side of the boot is a square one, they are usually an 8 plugger (but i have seen diff for my friend's 540i) and then there is a circular connector that comes down from the underside of the parcel shelf.

that lower of the two pics could be the one.

Aussie525i
05-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks mate. Looks like I will have to take the parcel shelf out, it must be hiding under there somewhere. I stuck my fingers up through the openings in the boot under the parcel shelf but I could not find any wires, only the speaker wires. Do you know how the back seat comes out. I have taken the lower part out, however the back rest won't budge. I have removed the 4 lower bolts, and removed the headrests, but it will not slide out (as the bentley manual describes). Any ideas. I can not remove the shelf until I take out the back seat!

rob101
05-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Thanks mate. Looks like I will have to take the parcel shelf out, it must be hiding under there somewhere. I stuck my fingers up through the openings in the boot under the parcel shelf but I could not find any wires, only the speaker wires. Do you know how the back seat comes out. I have taken the lower part out, however the back rest won't budge. I have removed the 4 lower bolts, and removed the headrests, but it will not slide out (as the bentley manual describes). Any ideas. I can not remove the shelf until I take out the back seat!
if its anything like the e28 its got big bolts attached to the bottom left and right corners of the seat, there was also some bolts in the centre. then the seat slides upwards as its retained by a couple of hooks. but i can't say i've removed the seat out of my e34.

t.wak
05-16-2007, 03:29 AM
There are two plastic bolts at the two bottom corners, one behind the cetre arm rest, then take your headrests off. Where the headrests once were you will see the plastic covers with two black screw-clips on each. Rotate these 90 degrees left or right, then they will pop out, then you should be able to lift up and out and the seat will come out easily.

Did this the other weekend when I was installing my Eibach springs, the writeup I had was from America and his car didn't have the rear headrests, had me stumped for a couple of minutes!

Aussie525i
05-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks for that. I worked it out last night. I took the parcel shelf out, and I have no cable for a changer. To confirm, and something I should have done in the first place, I removed the radio, and sure enough no cable attached where the changer cable should be. So now the search is on for a cable and changer. Does anyone know what cable I would need?

rob101
05-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks for that. I worked it out last night. I took the parcel shelf out, and I have no cable for a changer. To confirm, and something I should have done in the first place, I removed the radio, and sure enough no cable attached where the changer cable should be. So now the search is on for a cable and changer. Does anyone know what cable I would need?
realoem is your friend
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD62&mospid=47375&btnr=65_0194&hg=65&fg=10
that is for the 6 cd stacker if your radio has 10 no. key pad you should be able to hook up a 10 stack. But i think the usual is 6 stack (look for 6 number key pad on the radio)